What's new

Tutorial Distributel (Bell) PPPoE passthrough/bridge without SFP, using Nokia ONT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @pcoude.

That old(er) Linksys router more than likely doesn't have the hardware to give you a measured 1Gbps down/up speed.

What does an AC-powered, GbE Ethernet-wired, device show when plugged into the Linksys?

Also, what does a WiFi AX class network adaptor used within the same room as the Linksys show, when also powered by AC power

The VLAN settings are on the IPTV Page. Set it to Manual, then ser WAN VLAN to 40.

The setting is also available on the stock firmware.
I have an older Asus Router and just got Distributel installed. Thanks for your tip. Here is how I set up the VLAN.
Screenshot at May 01 10-42-15.png

Welcome to the forums @pcoude.

That old(er) Linksys router more than likely doesn't have the hardware to give you a measured 1Gbps down/up speed.

What does an AC-powered, GbE Ethernet-wired, device show when plugged into the Linksys?

Also, what does a WiFi AX class network adaptor used within the same room as the Linksys show, when also powered by AC power
Thank you so much for your feedbacks! No matter what I do I never get something higher than 500mbps.
I think you're right and it's my velop whw03 that is too slow to handle the 1000Mbps speed. I'm going to downsize my plan to 500Mbps and save $10 a month ;-)

What steps can I take to debug / test this issue?
If you used that router with a previous connection, make sure you don't have old QoS settings limiting the speed, and also you don't have a VPN redirecting all your traffic through a tunnel - 200-250 Mbps is the actual throughput limit of OpenVPN on that router.

Also make sure on the Tools -> Sysinfo that Flow Cache and Runner both show as being enabled.

If you used that router with a previous connection, make sure you don't have old QoS settings limiting the speed, and also you don't have a VPN redirecting all your traffic through a tunnel - 200-250 Mbps is the actual throughput limit of OpenVPN on that router.

Also make sure on the Tools -> Sysinfo that Flow Cache and Runner both show as being enabled.

Thanks for getting back. I just realized I was comparing wired and wireless connections (doh!). Also I was using an older laptop so it was running on an older Wifi protocol. I think I'm ok over here (apart from posting before double checking my tests!)

Thank all you guys for the tip, it works super well. My configuration:

Nokia ONT + ASUS AX86S, Optic cable to ONT, Cat 5 cable from ONT to Asus WLAN port.
configuration in ASUS AX 86S:
  1. In WAN: change the PPPoE user name and Password ( you can find in your Distributel account portail: User Name : xxxxxxxxxxx@yourhomeinternet.net
    Password : xxxxxxx )
  2. In LAN/IPTV: change ISP Profile: Manual Setting + change Internet VID to 40
step 2 is important, if without, no internet connection.​

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Max

Big news... Bell acquired Distributel... and likely due to the CRTC ruling, is allowing Distributel to use Bell fiber lines FTTH. Very good prices ($55/month for 1Gbit) on promotion for 2 years, get that black Friday discount, at least here in Ontario, Canada!

Not much documentation on the Nokia XS-010X-Q fibre ONT (GPON/XGS-PON), but the included Deco X50 AX3000 mesh Wifi AP pod is garbage requiring an Android app to manage _and_ a TPLink account / TP-Link ID assigned to device... Yuck!

Distributel has basic setup instructions with pictures of the hardware they give you:
View attachment 54456

View attachment 54457

The hot details you need to know:
- Distributel uses VLAN 40 for PPPoE login... whereas Bell used VLAN 35.
- Nokia ONT acts like SFP + Media Converter did to bypass the Bell Home Hub 3000 (HH3000), it performs no routing.

That means you can directly connect an Ethernet cable to the Nokia ONT and login with PPPoE credentials, using your router of choice (eg: PfSense, ASUS).
xxx@yourhomeinternet.net : password, obtained from https://ecare.distributel.ca/ -> Account Information -> Service Overview

Setup your smart switch (eg: MikroTik CSS326 or ESXi vSwitch virtualization) to Tag/Untag Vlan40.

View attachment 54459
or
View attachment 54458

Most importantly, Distributel also fixed some routing issues outside of Toronto datacenter, where Bell traffic is routed poorly, leading to bad upload speeds and latency spikes. Traceroute confirms a different path through Distributel routers, instead of Bell core switch, to get to work/friend/family houses around Ontario.

How did I find out? I used man-in-the-middle between the ONT and the Deco AP via SwOS mirror port, tcpdump and host learning ;)

No double NAT. Easy port forwarding. Speedtest results are great:

View attachment 54460

Thx for the info, I just had this installed today and after entering the PPPOE Credentials in my Asus 86U it does not connect. in the Deco app i can see the user name which is correct and PW is also correect but I am unable to connect using PPPOE credentails. It just does not connect. I tried the credentials on my computer by creating a Broadband PPPOE connection but my computer does not connect either, reports error 651 that means there is nothing wrong with the credentials the ONT is working fine> Ay idea? Please advice

Last edited:
Thx for the info, I just had this installed today and after entering the PPPOE Credentials in my Asus 86U it does not connect. in the Deco app i can see the user name which is correct and PW is also correect but I am unable to connect using PPPOE credentails. It just does not connect. I tried the credentials on my computer by creating a Broadband PPPOE connection but my computer does not connect either, reports error 651 that means there is nothing wrong with the credentials the ONT is working fine> Ay idea? Please advice
I just added the VLAN 40 as it was suggested but, nop, my Asus does not want to connect to the internet

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!