What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

I just copy the dnscrypt-proxy 2.o rc and overwrite it in /jffs/dnscrypt.

Seems like the syslog time still didn’t work.

Tested the latest installer. Now able to restart dnscrypt in terminal with the command
/jffs/dnscrypt/manager dnscrypt-start
Without getting terninated after exit terminal.

The problem it seems is in the manager script - line 48 ... we need to use nohup!!!

I added nohup because people starts to use my manager script in terminal to restart dnscrypt-proxy as we have a configuration file that people like to reload now, not because I thought it's related to your issue at all. If it's actually your issue then great, if not we need to debug the memory stuff again.

@all: 2.0.0rc is now supported through my installer.

I added nohup because people starts to use my manager script in terminal to restart dnscrypt-proxy as we have a configuration file that people like to reload now, not because I thought it's related to your issue at all. If it's actually your issue then great, if not we need to debug the memory stuff again.

Just checking that the time is not fix right? Coz Frank say ‘might’ fix
https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/commit/1bbc7e954027ac68c44514e6b5487d2ddcf76ec8

It is the reason the dnscrypt-proxy process was failing and this has been confirmed/first spotted by @DonnyJohnny .. I'm glad this is over.

Thanks for the latest release.

It is the reason the dnscrypt-proxy process was failing and this has been confirmed/first spotted by @DonnyJohnny .. I'm glad this is over.

Thanks for the latest release.
Just reiterate, nohup is not needed if only I use it from wan-start running by the firmware. entware-ng has its "manager script" as well without nohup started from post-mount usually.

This is mainly the issue with people start running dnscrypt-proxy or restart it through terminal with or without my script :). nohup is needed if you want to start a process in the background interactively through terminal and keep running it after your terminal has been terminated.

If it's really just this, then I'm glad because debugging memory pressure killing process is a pain in the rear.

Just reiterate, nohup is not needed if only I use it from wan-start running by the firmware. entware-ng has its "manager script" as well without nohup started from post-mount usually.

This is mainly the issue with people start running dnscrypt-proxy or restart it through terminal with or without my script :). nohup is needed if you want to start a process in the background interactively through terminal and keep running it after your terminal has been terminated.

That makes sense. Which is why I didn't experience the issue, regardless the fact that memory management was enabled. What doesn't makes sense is why someone would want to start it from within a terminal? If you want to have dns queries being encrypted, you would want that when your wan connection comes up, right?

I think the changing of ownership to nobody, different from root could have helped.
I just realised in m@rco post, https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/page-26#post-377722
The ownship is 2000 which is original from decompressed tar.gz

I always copy the tar.gz archive to my router and extract it there, because I don't want Windows messin' around with it, hence the permissions where probably unchanged. Yet, without any issues.

No, timezone is not fixed :(.

As for the time offset, this was just a first try, a suggestion from a non-coding noob to a developer with no prior experience with Go. We'll figure it out. Eventually. But it might takes some time, I'm recovering from surgery and trying to learn Go at the same time, which is kinda hard when constantly falling asleep...

As for the time offset, this was just a first try, a suggestion from a non-coding noob to a developer with no prior experience with Go. We'll figure it out. Eventually. But it might takes some time, I'm recovering from surgery and trying to learn Go at the same time, which is kinda hard when constantly falling asleep...

The short answer is we're f***ed. The long answer, I leave it on your issue at https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/57 as I read the damn source code from golang and it's kind of technical.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Anyone have a reason for this showing up in my logs?
Code:
Feb  1 10:30:00 crond[410]: USER myusername pid 4591 cmd touch "/jffs/dnscrypt/manager"
Logging verbosity set to 6.

Hey guys! Anyone have a reason for this showing up in my logs?
Code:
Feb  1 10:30:00 crond[410]: USER myusername pid 4591 cmd touch "/jffs/dnscrypt/manager"
Logging verbosity set to 6.
I know, because I did that. I touch that file to save date time for restoring them when you reboot your router so any secure connection at boot is more likely to work.

EDIT: I used to run a separate shell process to do this before with no logging, no one noticed, I might have run mining software on your router lol :v.

Last edited:
The short answer is we're f***ed. The long answer, I leave it on your issue at https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/57 as I read the damn source code from golang and it's kind of technical.

I'm up for a challenge, can't move anyway currently. I read your explanation at github, but I have some more ideas, which I'm going to explore some further before giving other people hope.

On another note: are you maintaining the installer script still on Github? I couldn't find any recent activity on your 'old' installer?

I know, because I did that. I touch that file to save date time for restoring them when you reboot your router so any secure connection at boot is more likely to work.

EDIT: I used to run a separate shell process to do this before with no logging, no one noticed, I might have run mining software on your router lol :v.
Can you hide that crond or does it have to be logged to syslog?

@bigeyes0x0: not enough knowledge to be sure whether this helps you, but the timezone can be retrieved from nvram:

Code:
marco@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep "time_zone"
size: 53277 bytes (12259 left)
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_x=MEZ-1DST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
time_zone_dstoff=M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
time_zone=MEZ-1DST

Could the last value help the script setting the correct timezone prior to launching dnscrypt-proxy? Or could we ask Frank to calculate the offset based on this value?

It's crond doing the logging, not much I can do. I know people will complain this is why I used a shell background process before for this, but as we were having with process being killed, I wanted to save some RAM.

It's crond doing the logging, not much I can do. I know people will complain this is why I used a shell background process before for this, but as we were having with process being killed, I wanted to save some RAM.
Can you name the crond so I can easily; "sed -i" script the line out; without interfering with anything else. If the crond had a name I could use the name to remove the entry.

On another note: are you maintaining the installer script still on Github? I couldn't find any recent activity on your 'old' installer?
I'm on different branch on github for this beta, check my beta post, you can see the changelog for the beta there with all the activities.

@bigeyes0x0: not enough knowledge to be sure whether this helps you, but the timezone can be retrieved from nvram:

Code:
marco@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep "time_zone"
size: 53277 bytes (12259 left)
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_x=MEZ-1DST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
time_zone_dstoff=M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3
time_zone=MEZ-1DST

Could the last value help setting the script the correct timezone prior to launching dnscrypt-proxy? Or could we ask Frank to calculate the offset based on this value?

I've been here, if you check my script code, didn't work because as I said on github, even with this info GoLang does not have the binary required to calculate the offset on asuswrt. Of course one can do it manually but it's like reinventing the wheel.
I do have some vague idea now as I have read golang code for this, but I need to test the idea first.
Can you name the crond so I can easily; "sed -i" script the line out; without interfering with anything else. If the crond had a name I could use the name to remove the entry.
Maybe I can write some comment TAG there later.