What's new

dnsmasq.config.add without ip?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vandriver

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a question? I suppose I could just try it but I was wondering if I remove all the ip addresses from my dnsmasq.config.add file will the hostnames still resolve?

For example: dhcp-host=macadress,hostname,ip
becomes
dhcp-host=macadress,hostname

Reason I am asking is on the rare occasions when I have to nuke the router, all the devices connect back up as soon as the router has some basic config and I often find many devices are given a new ip before I can even get the chance to setup yazdhcp and entware etc

I would rather have my full network was using hostnames without having to reconfigure changed ip's if that makes sense?

Hi,

I have a question? I suppose I could just try it but I was wondering if I remove all the ip addresses from my dnsmasq.config.add file will the hostnames still resolve?

For example: dhcp-host=macadress,hostname,ip
becomes
dhcp-host=macadress,hostname

Reason I am asking is on the rare occasions when I have to nuke the router, all the devices connect back up as soon as the router has some basic config and I often find many devices are given a new ip before I can even get the chance to setup yazdhcp and entware etc

I would rather have my full network was using hostnames without having to reconfigure changed ip's if that makes sense?
Yes, that works. This is how I give my guest network clients hostnames.