What's new

Do I need a new AC router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YKMN76

New Around Here
Hi!
I'm considering replacing my old Asus RT-N66U (N900) router with a AC1900 router or above, such as the Asus RT-AC68U or RT-AC87U. I live in a flat with thick stone, brick and concrete walls inside and have between 5 and 12 connected devices of mixed types. At this point only one of my devices support wireless AC, but I might add more of these relatively soon. Further, there are many other networks operating in my area as I live in the centre of a city. This might have an impact on the signal as well.

My main concern is that the bedroom signal is a bit unreliable, on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Further,

The 5GHz band only works satisfactory when operated in the same room as the router, which in practice means that I only use it for my Apple TV. I suspect that the thick walls inside my flat is a bit difficult for the 5GHz signal to penetrate.

I've read that AC1900 router (e.g. the RT-AC68U & RT-87U) have a higher theoretical maximum speed on the 2.4GHz band. I'm aware that the real maximum speed in a best case scenario will be half of that of the theoretical maximums, so I'm not expecting miracles.

To summarise this, the key reasons for replacing my current router is range, signal strength, and perhaps as a bonus, the 2.4GHz speed.

I have also considered investing in APs and homeplugs, but there seems to be mixed opinions on those alternatives.

Is any of the Asus AC routers mentioned above likely to perform better in these respects compared to my current RT-N66U?

Many thanks in advance.

First, read this if you already haven't.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

The higher "theoretical speeds" (link rates) from AC routers come only with AC clients. See this article for details.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

That said, you may exprience some gain in throughput from switching to an AC router from an N router. But if you are having 5 GHz range problems with thick stone walls, there isn't really any router that will help. You can try powerline networking to get an Ethernet connection to your back room, then add an access point.

First, read this if you already haven't.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

The higher "theoretical speeds" (link rates) from AC routers come only with AC clients. See this article for details.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

That said, you may exprience some gain in throughput from switching to an AC router from an N router. But if you are having 5 GHz range problems with thick stone walls, there isn't really any router that will help. You can try powerline networking to get an Ethernet connection to your back room, then add an access point.

Thanks for replying!

This is a great site, btw!

I just skimmed through the first article for now (I'll read it properly later). The conclusion seems to be that there actually might be an improvement even for N devices.

I also thought about getting a USB AC adapter for my main PC while I'm upgrading the router and later on I might get myself a tablet, which I think have 802.11ac support.

Yes, I've considered the powerline/AP route but I've heard so many things ranging from very negative to moderately positive ones, plus I don't know if the electric wiring in our building might present a problem. I guess the only way to know is buying & trying.

My mother has an old D-Link Dir-635 and her LAN is rather sluggish so I thought I'd give her my "old" N66U while I'm upgrading.