What's new

Do I need a VLAN? Server-Router-Router-TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gotcha640

Occasional Visitor
Hi there

Feel free to send me to another forum.

My house is two stories, with a desktop upstairs (may qualify as a NAS some day, for now, it's just an old desktop with a big hdd) wired to a DSL modem/router (Technicolor 5130) wired to an Asus RT-N16 (DDWRT) wired to a Raspberry Pi.

The main goals are for the Pi to be able to stream from the desktop (or anything else I put on the network, but I'll focus on that for now), and for us to be able to at least browse at the same time, including a bit of youtube, preferably.

Until last weekend, I just had a USB drive plugged in the N16 downstairs, wifi between the Pi and the N16 and wifi between the N16 (repeater bridge) to the Technicolor. This mostly allowed for what I wanted, but the old desktop is loud and clunky, so I don't want it in the living room. I do want the 2tb of movies and TV shows and music and pics.

So in my infinite wisdom, I changed the N16 from Repeater Bridge to AP, and hooked up the ethernet cables all round. I set the SSIDs the same at first, but sitting next to the N16, my wife's macbook was getting crummy signal while my sony was great, so I assumed hers was connecting to the upstairs router (through a concrete floor). I changed the name of the n16 network, she connected to the new name, and she was good to go.

I set up a samba share on the desktop, added the share to the pi, picked a movie, and... terrible. Slow to load, laggy, generally not watchable. So I stopped all other traffic, and it was back to OK. My wife went on facebook, and she got a slow connection, and I got major lag.

Then I tried accessing a share from my laptop on the pi, laptop sitting next to the N16, pi still wired, and still no luck browsing or anything else, even when connected to the Technicolor wifi network.

So my questions:

How do I know which router a wifi device is going through if the AP/router has the same SSID as the router/modem?

Should the N16 be able to act as a switch for wifi to LAN, sending traffic straight from a laptop to the pi? Or does all traffic go through the technicolor, even if it's local?

Since this samba share from desktop to pi is all LAN, no need to get outside, is there a way to fence it off? Would that be a vlan?

If yes, could I allow the pi to still get outside for updates?

Since I'm fairly new to it all, what do I need to chase down first/what logs do I need to provide/look at?

Sorry, but the network configuration that is giving you trouble is not clear. Can you make a simple diagram, please?

The only way to know where a client is connected in a situation with the same SSID for multiple APs is to look at the BSSID / MAC address information in the client. Most client utilities don't show you this, however.

Easiest way around this is to assign unique SSIDs to each AP.

LAN traffic will not go out to the internet.

Sorry for the confusion, let me know if the pic clears it up. The wifi device (laptop in the pic) slows down the LAN enough to make video unwatchable, and the video slows it down enough to make browsing unbearable.

I got a few hints, I will reformat my samba shared drive to ext3 from ntfs, and I need to be certain the video format is correct. I don't know if either of those would have such an effect on other traffic though.

Also, I'm still not clear as to whether all traffic has to go through the modem/router combo, even if it is only going from a device connected to AP wifi to a device connected to AP ethernet. This would be very inefficient, so I expect it doesn't, just curious.

Attachments

• Network.JPG
    Network.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 274
If you connect the laptop via Ethernet to the N16 does the video play ok? What is the RPi doing?

A switch moves data directly between the two devices that are communicating.