What's new

Do NOT route my traffic through the VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mousi

New Around Here
Hello, I use my AC68U as a client to a PPTP server to be able to access my work documents. When it is connected all traffic is routed through the VPN connection. Is there any way I can route all traffic through my "normal" ADSL connection and only route a subnet through the VPN?

I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere else but all I could find was about "selective routing". I believe my case is much simpler than that.

Thank you in advance!

@mousi
Can't you use home computer as VPN client for office network?
IMHO, it's the best solution only if you don't have many home computers all of which you need to be able to access office documents.

Look, the problem is that PPTP client of your home router changes default gateway of the router to pptp link.
It does so because office server directs it.
So the solution is either to change office server settings or to write some ip-up/ip-down script for pptp connection to set/restore router's default gateway.
Not an easy task, I think.

Last edited:
Hello, I use my AC68U as a client to a PPTP server to be able to access my work documents. When it is connected all traffic is routed through the VPN connection. Is there any way I can route all traffic through my "normal" ADSL connection and only route a subnet through the VPN?

I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere else but all I could find was about "selective routing". I believe my case is much simpler than that.

Thank you in advance!

The main 'selective routing' thread describes the solution where a single device, range of devices or subnet is 'redirected' (or forced) to use the OpenVPN VPN client connection(s) on the router whilst the remainder of the internet traffic uses the WAN port as normal.

The OpenVPN clients on the router make it much easier to implement selective routing, however, a knowledgeable guru kindly took the time to adapt the OpenVPN selective routing script into one that works for the PPTP VPN router client:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=106381&postcount=1

Regards,

Last edited: