What's new

Route add via SSH - persistent-how?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sysxp

New Around Here
Hello!
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13.
I'm using the following command via SSH to get accees to subnet behind my pptp connection:
ip route add 192.168.100.0/24 via 192.168.77.1 dev pptp0

After this command everything works as intended. "LAN - Route" tab in Web interface does not work at all, or I don't understand HOW to make it do the same thing as my above command.

The problem is: my static route does not survive reboot.
Could you please tell me how can I make this command persistent, so it would work after the reboot?

I'm just SO frustrated that the MOST simple task as a STATIC ROUTE that can be achieved in 20 seconds on any zyxel or mikrotik router requires full 30 minutes of reading this forum just to find this SSH command that really works.
Please, tell me I'm stupid and this can be done in 20 seconds and how.

The joys of working with an embedded distro.

I would add your route command to the services-start script.

Is a good spot to start to learn about working with Asus-Merlin.

I say services-start script is a good spot, but you may in fact need to use the wan-event script as you might need to wait until the interface is up.

Jeffrey Young
Thank you for pointing me to the scrips direction.
I will enable JFFS and try to make a simple one for my needs.
I indeed have to wait for another router to connect to my ASUS for pptp0 to be ready, it usually happens very quickly.
Regarding your words about "the joys of working with an embedded distro" makes me laugh so hard, MAN, this is LITERAL TORTURE, OMG, I have to make a bloody SCRIPT to make a STATIC ROUTE, this is just madness.
Multiple times I had an URGE to throw it away and put a mikrotik ac2 and get everything done in 2 seconds, but NOOO, I have a feelings for my old ASUS, which works as my home router for about 10 years now, maybe more. :) I even remember when the TX power was unlocked for this router using merlin, and I was sitting on this fw for quite some time. Then was the drama with the TX power restrictions.. Oh, the good old days... :)

I will post how my script are doing when I make it.

Thank you again! =^_^=

P.S. If anyone having the same problem reading this - get a mikrotik, seriously.

Multiple times I had an URGE to throw it away and put a mikrotik ac2 and get everything done in 2 seconds
I can configure an OpenVPN server in 30 seconds on an Asus router. On a Mikrotik? It`s torture...

Different devices simply have different features.

In all honesty, it is quite remarkable what @RMerlin has done with these little boxes given the physical limitations of the hardware. I am happy with my AX88U. I got Merlin specifically as I can adjust dnsmasq so that I can run a Samba4 AD in my home lab and still have the router handle DHCP and DNS for me.

Still, I think for the cost now of a decent x64 mini computer, I would opt for a full Linux system for my next router when my AX88U gives up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!