What's new

DOCSIS upgrade question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

waoh

New Around Here
My internet provider supports DOCSIS 3.0. I know that they have faster internet packages that require it, but on my mid range connection (that doesn't require DOCSIS 3.0 and lets me use my old 2.0 modem) could I see any performance gain by upgrading my modem?

I'd think your Internet service company would provide a DOCSIS 2 or 3 modem. Mine does, and to simplify their maintenance, they do not permit customer-owned cable modems. But this is Time-Warner; Cox and other do permit customer owned.

They will probably charge a premium for DOCSIS 3's speeds.

Due to the Internet hosts' bandwidth management, I don't think you'd see a difference. In the future, with more HD quality TV streaming, you will. But why waste the $ now, I say.

I just replaced my Docsis 2 SB5120 for a Docsis 3 SB6120 and my speeds actually decreased a little :confused:

I did a quick Comcast Speed Test before and after swapping.

It was 25 down, and roughly 4 up.

After the swap It doesn't want to go any higher than 20 down?

The cable system head end must be programmed to give you DOCSIS 3 service if you've paid for that upgrade.

I'd think your Internet service company would provide a DOCSIS 2 or 3 modem. Mine does, and to simplify their maintenance, they do not permit customer-owned cable modems. But this is Time-Warner; Cox and other do permit customer owned.

They will probably charge a premium for DOCSIS 3's speeds.

Due to the Internet hosts' bandwidth management, I don't think you'd see a difference. In the future, with more HD quality TV streaming, you will. But why waste the $ now, I say.

This is not true, I work for Time Warner Cable and was a Level 3 rep in their regional office before I moved on to Network Operations. You absolutely can use your own cable modem. But to answer the OP's question, you can see increased speed if your ISP supports channel bonding without having to subscribe to a Docsis 3.0 level of service. But this is viewed as cheating the system to a degree because you are not supposed to receive speeds faster than your subscription agreement.

Comcast has a free one-year trial for "Blast!", which needs a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Since the service I'm paying for includes two separate phone lines, Internet and TV, they require I use their own cable modem. I went over and swapped (for free) for the faster cable modem. After the one-year trial is over, I intend to keep the DOCSIS 3.0 modem in case Comcast ups the speeds again later.

If you are leasing your cable modem, I'd ask if you can swap it out for the higher capacity modem.

Chris

This is not true, I work for Time Warner Cable and was a Level 3 rep in their regional office before I moved on to Network Operations. You absolutely can use your own cable modem. But to answer the OP's question, you can see increased speed if your ISP supports channel bonding without having to subscribe to a Docsis 3.0 level of service. But this is viewed as cheating the system to a degree because you are not supposed to receive speeds faster than your subscription agreement.
Time-Warner's policy on customer-owned modems varies by region. Here in So. Calif., TWC acquired Road Runner. To this day, TWC here does not offer a discount for customer owned modems, and to my knowledge, will not authenticate such nor permit it to be used. In the adjacent areas to TWC, Cox has the monopoly and they do permit customer owned cable modems.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!