What's new

Does Auto Channel ever change the channel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I find when my router is set to "auto" for the channel, it likes to overlap the neighbors WiFi causing issues with my network.

I used to hardcode channels but it turned into a constant battle of changing it when other people changed, especially on 2.4. Just because you are overlapping, doesn't mean it is a bad channel. A channel with no networks on it could have bad interference and your router can't negotiate with interference to coexist. Your issues may have been coincidence, maybe due to them using a 40mhz channel on 2.4 or some other non-standard setup.

It used to be better to hardcode channels but these days I find it is better to let the router decide (with most routers anyway) and maybe have it reboot or bounce the interfaces once a day to rescan.

Currently my 80mhz 5ghz channel is overlapping with my downstairs neighbor's and I can get full 5ghz throughput (around 500-550mbit/sec which is the most you can expect from 866mbit link rate).

I've found this even more true on 2.4, I used to be stickler for 1/6/11 and when you have full control over the environment, that is still the way to go. But nowadays in settings where you can't control everyone else, an inbetween channel like 3 may actually be the best performance even if people are on 1 and 6. On 2.4 you're trying to scrape whatever bandwidth you can get and even if there is a lot of overlap, centering on an unused or lesser used channel can still get more bandwidth.

Going back to the original question I just thought I'd add my own experience. I'm running Merlin 388.1 on an rt-ax88u and I am within radar range of LBA in the UK. I have the 5gig channel set to auto (including DFS) and bandwidth set to auto (including 160).
My router will regularly switch between channels 36 and 100 with no interaction and 160 is always available - when I connect my ax210 equipped notebook it switches to 160 without a problem on either of the channels.
This is the behaviour I desire and expect.
ISM is designed to always give the best connection in the local environment. Defeating it by forcing channels and bandwidth is just making yourself vulnerable to cross channel and other interference. In the same way ISM also makes you a good neighbour by helping you to prevent interference to others.

Last edited:
Well, I'm very satisfied with the stability and performance of our router after running with this setup for a week, even though there has been an unusually high number and frequency of military aircraft flying or hovering nearby, and the military is apparently practicing or running an exercise.

Many thanks to @drinkingbird, @Morris, and everyone else for sharing your knowledge and advice. It's one thing to glean bits of knowledge from existing threads, but nothing like the direct help you've freely offered to help me resolve my wireless issues. I'm grateful to each of you.

Well, I'm very satisfied with the stability and performance of our router after running with this setup for a week, even though there has been an unusually high number and frequency of military aircraft flying or hovering nearby, and the military is apparently practicing or running an exercise.

Many thanks to @drinkingbird, @Morris, and everyone else for sharing your knowledge and advice. It's one thing to glean bits of knowledge from existing threads, but nothing like the direct help you've freely offered to help me resolve my wireless issues. I'm grateful to each of you.

I'm glad I was able to help

New to the forum as well as to Merlin's f/w. Just switched to a rt-ax86s and am running 388.1.
Previously, had a Linksys EA-7300 running OpenWrt with no drops/issues at all (wife and I WFH and do lots of video calls & never had a single issue)

Had major wifi (LAN was good) hang ups using 388.1 installed w/2gb swap on usb stick and the following: amtm, NordVPN, FlexQoS, spdMerlin, Diversion (standard list)
Starting issue was video calls hanging up for ~10-15 seconds. Would happen from 2-6 times during a 45 min. call

I did a lot of reading and tried a lot of the recommendations to remediate the problem.
The final change that seems to have resolved the issue (so far, so good for last 12 hours)

Final changes I did it that seem to have solved the call hanging/wifi reconnect:

Wireless Settings
1. Smart connect OFF
2. Separate SSID names for 2.4 & 5GHz
3. (2.4GHz) - Wireless Mode-Auto, Ch bw = 40MHz & Control Ch. 6
4. (5 GHz) Wireless Mode-Auto, Ch bw = 80MHz & Control Ch. 153 - Also unchecked Enable 160 MHz box
5. set all light switches, wyze cams, etc to run off 2.4GHz band
6. only work laptops and phones on 5 GHz

Settings I had changed from default previous to 1-6 above and are still changed/on (from default):

1. QOS TAB- QoS On and set to Adaptive QoS, GeForce NOW UPnP to OFF, Work from home mode
2. QOS TAB- Flex QoS Router/VPN Client Outbound Traffic Class- Work From Home & set "add well known iptables Rule" to SKYPE/TEAM setting
3. AICloud Tab- All are off (can;'t recall if they were on by default)
4. WAN TAB- Enable UPnP- NO
5. WAN TAB- DNS Server set to NordVPN ip
6. VPN TAB- TOR - OFF
7. VPN TAB- Instand Guard- OFF
8. Admin/System Tab- USB 2.0

What I am still trying to understand is how I can have netflix/amazon prime not go through NordVPN tunnel (albeit there is no issues/buffering). I have an Xfinity little box that came w/my internet service that I use to stream movies, etc. (no cable service)

Thanks to all that take the time to post, share their wisdom, and most important, keep this forum full of greatness!

New to the forum as well as to Merlin's f/w. Just switched to a rt-ax86s and am running 388.1.
Previously, had a Linksys EA-7300 running OpenWrt with no drops/issues at all (wife and I WFH and do lots of video calls & never had a single issue)

Had major wifi (LAN was good) hang ups using 388.1 installed w/2gb swap on usb stick and the following: amtm, NordVPN, FlexQoS, spdMerlin, Diversion (standard list)
Starting issue was video calls hanging up for ~10-15 seconds. Would happen from 2-6 times during a 45 min. call

I did a lot of reading and tried a lot of the recommendations to remediate the problem.
The final change that seems to have resolved the issue (so far, so good for last 12 hours)

Final changes I did it that seem to have solved the call hanging/wifi reconnect:

Wireless Settings
1. Smart connect OFF
2. Separate SSID names for 2.4 & 5GHz
3. (2.4GHz) - Wireless Mode-Auto, Ch bw = 40MHz & Control Ch. 6
4. (5 GHz) Wireless Mode-Auto, Ch bw = 80MHz & Control Ch. 153 - Also unchecked Enable 160 MHz box
5. set all light switches, wyze cams, etc to run off 2.4GHz band
6. only work laptops and phones on 5 GHz

Settings I had changed from default previous to 1-6 above and are still changed/on (from default):

1. QOS TAB- QoS On and set to Adaptive QoS, GeForce NOW UPnP to OFF, Work from home mode
2. QOS TAB- Flex QoS Router/VPN Client Outbound Traffic Class- Work From Home & set "add well known iptables Rule" to SKYPE/TEAM setting
3. AICloud Tab- All are off (can;'t recall if they were on by default)
4. WAN TAB- Enable UPnP- NO
5. WAN TAB- DNS Server set to NordVPN ip
6. VPN TAB- TOR - OFF
7. VPN TAB- Instand Guard- OFF
8. Admin/System Tab- USB 2.0

What I am still trying to understand is how I can have netflix/amazon prime not go through NordVPN tunnel (albeit there is no issues/buffering). I have an Xfinity little box that came w/my internet service that I use to stream movies, etc. (no cable service)

Thanks to all that take the time to post, share their wisdom, and most important, keep this forum full of greatness!

First please be a good citizen and disable 40mhz on 2.4ghz. Second I would have started with a few of the more common things like disabling universal beamforming on both bands before going too deep down the rabbit hole.

First please be a good citizen and disable 40mhz on 2.4ghz. Second I would have started with a few of the more common things like disabling universal beamforming on both bands before going too deep down the rabbit hole.
Thanks for the redirect!

I was certain I had all recommended settings from the in the 99 posts I had read.
Switched to 20MHz and will now revert back some of the wifi settings and try beamforming disabled.
I'm rather new to this and hadn't read about beamforming. Disable that as well for both frequencies.

I'll update once we get back to that thing we call work.

Thanks for the redirect!

I was certain I had all recommended settings from the in the 99 posts I had read.
Switched to 20MHz and will now revert back some of the wifi settings and try beamforming disabled.
I'm rather new to this and hadn't read about beamforming. Disable that as well for both frequencies.

I'll update once we get back to that thing we call work.

You can leave explicit (802.11AC/AX) beamforming enabled as it actually can help (and typically doesn't hurt). The universal (legacy) is pretty bad on these routers though and causes people a lot of headache and should be disabled. If your router supports MU-MIMO you can toy with that too as it can have mixed results, if you have multiple bandwidth hungry devices it can give you a better total overall throughput, but if just one device downloading a large file it can potentially slow that one down a bit. Seems to vary with router, device, and situation.

Make sure airtime fairness is disabled on both bands, I think it is by default but check.

There is a debate over channels but in my area 2.4 is very congested, and while I don't use it much I do have a couple old devices that only support it, and I leave it on auto and that works best. It does typically pick a non-1/6/11 channel but that is often necessary these days unless you're in an isolated area.

5Ghz as long as you don't let it use DFS frequencies will usually pick one that is fine.

160Mhz is often unnecessary and problematic (since it will overlap DFS), 80 is a good setting (or 20/40/80 with 160 disabled as it sounds like you have it now). On 80Mhz with AC clients you should be able to get 400-500 or more (assuming dual stream devices connecting at 866.6 mbit which are the most common) and AX clients can double that, which should be plenty.

Personally I like to set it to N only on 2.4 and N/AC only on 5, disabling A/B/G, but probably not a big difference there. I don't know what selections the AX routers have but I think it would be N/AX on 2.4 and N/AC/AX on 5.

QOS can cause problems, what is your internet speed? If it is decent (hundreds of megs) it likely isn't necessary. Maybe only on the upload side if you have a slow upload speed and people are saturating it (you'd be surprised though, even video calls don't take that much).

Personally I use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 and don't have problems but I also don't have a lot of IOT devices or others that tend to hop around. Stuff I have all prefers 5Ghz and I have roaming aggressiveness set to high where possible so it won't "stick" on 2.4 when I come back from outside etc.

If you want the best of both worlds, you can set up one network with the same name (YourNet) then another with 2 different names (YourNet-2.4 and YourNet-5). One can be your main LAN (typically the one with the same name for both bands) and the one with two names can be your Guest Wireless. Note the behavior of GW1 is different than 2 and 3 - if you have LAN access disabled it uses different subnets and VLANs to isolate stuff. If you have LAN access enabled it functions pretty much as just another SSID on your main LAN without any isolation. For GW2 and 3, regardless of whether "Access LAN is enabled" it is an extension of your main LAN and uses firewall rules to prevent communication. For simplicity, you may want to just stick with 2 and 3 leaving 1 disabled. You can choose whether to enable "access LAN" or not for each guest network. Now you can assign phones and laptops and stuff that moves around to the main LAN, and IOT/stuff that doesn't move to the band you want it to stick on.

Couple caveats/notes
If you use GW1 and enable isolation - main LAN can access Guest devices, but guest devices cannot access main LAN. This is good if you want to stream from your phone on main LAN to TV on guest, etc.
GW2 and 3 totally isolated, main LAN cannot reach them and vice-versa if LAN access is disabled.

When lan access is disabled, devices on the guest network also can't access each other.

My setup is main lan - same name, laptops and phones use this
GW1 - Guest network - also same name for both, I also have some physical ports mapped into this - used for guests, neighbors, and when I repair a PC (wired or wireless) for someone that I don't trust to put on my main LAN. LAN access disabled.
GW2 - IOT network or "semi-trusted" network - also same name for both but if I had a lot of this sort of thing I might split it up. I disable access LAN here too. If I wanted to stream from my laptop to my TV I'd have to jump on the IOT network with the laptop or enable LAN access, but I have a desktop hardwired to TV via HDMI so never do that.

@ drinkingbird,

Thanks for the detailed info. I set it to your initial recommendations, split the SSID's, and disabled legacy beamforming and all is working fine.
I had left QOS on and have not see any issues. My speed is 200/15 and have never had issues. I may upgrade as I'll have another user staying with us for a while but don;t think it will be a big deal as i've had 5 users at the same time with current speed and has been ok (pre asus router)

Once I have time, I'll split up the networks and add the GW's as you described as I occasionally have guests that don't need to have access to 'my network'

Once again, I appreciate your help with getting me squared away.

Victor

@ drinkingbird,

Thanks for the detailed info. I set it to your initial recommendations, split the SSID's, and disabled legacy beamforming and all is working fine.
I had left QOS on and have not see any issues. My speed is 200/15 and have never had issues. I may upgrade as I'll have another user staying with us for a while but don;t think it will be a big deal as i've had 5 users at the same time with current speed and has been ok (pre asus router)

Once I have time, I'll split up the networks and add the GW's as you described as I occasionally have guests that don't need to have access to 'my network'

Once again, I appreciate your help with getting me squared away.

Victor

No problem. In reality you only need QOS in the upload direction but I'm not sure how granular your router lets you get, probably no harm in having it in both directions as long as it isn't set to be super restrictive and sensitive.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!