What's new

Does the ASUS RT-AC68U still have USB 3.0 problems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lastlink

New Around Here
I'm in the market for new router and I'm looking at the R7000 or the RT-AC68U, while researching I've seen that the RT-AC68U has external hard drive problems that interfere with the r/w speeds. Is this still an issue now, or has it been fixed already by either custom firmware or official updates?

I'm in the market for new router and I'm looking at the R7000 or the RT-AC68U, while researching I've seen that the RT-AC68U has external hard drive problems that interfere with the r/w speeds. Is this still an issue now, or has it been fixed already by either custom firmware or official updates?

It still has a switch to slow down USB3 as it can interfere with the 2.5GHz signal - I doubt that will get better (without going to an AC87 or other newer design).

USB3 speeds are GREATLY improved moving to one of Merlin's build (I'm on the 374 fork.)

Thanks for the info RampantAndroid, whats the speed on Merlin's build? can it compare to the Nighthawk R7000?

Here's a quick set of tests I had run on the Merlin fork....

AC68U overclocked to 1200,800
Monoprice switch
Going to desktop computer (Realtek PCIe GB)
Used an 18GB VHD for the test....speed measured at about 50% copied

5400RPM 2.5" drive in Vantec enclosure attached to USB2 hub to router USB2 port - formatted NTFS

HDD <-> USB2 HUB <-> ASUS Router <-> Switch <-> Desktop Write (Windows): 26.0 MB/s
HDD <-> USB2 HUB <-> ASUS Router <-> Switch <-> Desktop Read (Windows): 29.2 MB/s

Using a USB3 memory stick / router USB3 port

USB3 Stick <-> ASUS Router <-> Switch <-> Desktop Write (Windows): 43.6 MB/s
USB3 Stick <-> ASUS Router <-> Switch <-> Desktop Read (Windows): 65.5 MB/s

With my Seagate external USB3 drive, writing the Windows 10 ISO (multi gigabyte file) I was seeing writes of around 60MB/s on both wired and wireless. Before installing Merlin's build, I think it was closer to 20MB/s. The R7000 did OK, but didn't hit 60MB/s using the stock firmware.

Here's a quick set of tests I had run on the Merlin fork....

With my Seagate external USB3 drive, writing the Windows 10 ISO (multi gigabyte file) I was seeing writes of around 60MB/s on both wired and wireless. Before installing Merlin's build, I think it was closer to 20MB/s. The R7000 did OK, but didn't hit 60MB/s using the stock firmware.

Is that with the "Reduce USB 3 speed" in 2.4 GHz settings menu ticked or unticked?

If unticked, any negative effect on the 2.4 GHz band?

I'm also running merlin build, but my speeds are usually 15 MB/s, I suspect it's due to my cheap USB 3 stick. But I do also have that option ticked.

Is that with the "Reduce USB 3 speed" in 2.4 GHz settings menu ticked or unticked?

If unticked, any negative effect on the 2.4 GHz band?

I'm also running merlin build, but my speeds are usually 15 MB/s, I suspect it's due to my cheap USB 3 stick. But I do also have that option ticked.

The 'Reducing USB 3.0 Interference' is disabled on the runs I did with the Merlin fork. Enabling it basically makes the USB3 port run as USB2. I never noticed any problems with the 2.4GHz band running this way.