What's new

Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gkyle840

Occasional Visitor
I recently set up a nvg599 uverse gateway in IP pass through and have an Asus rt-ac68u running behind it. I have everything working good other than issues with my local network that says I have double NAT and I am unable to see or share anything on my network.

what says that you have a double NAT? is it an Xbox/PS4 by any chance?

I was unable to see either computer connected via ethernet to my lan. I started researching the issue and was led to double nat. I followed a guide to run a tracer in the cmd prompt and both up adresses were private which the guide stated meant I had double nat. I can follow directions but unfortunately I do not have a great understanding of networking.

I have my uverse gateway set up to IP pass through as per a guide on dslreports. It says it is the closest to bridge mode I can get it to run my asus router behind it and run a openvpn.
I do not have a playstation or xbox.

I have my uverse gateway set up to IP pass through as per a guide on dslreports. It says it is the closest to bridge mode I can get it to run my asus router behind it and run a openvpn.
I do not have a playstation or xbox.

Unfortunately double nat is a fact when using ATT gateway in DMZ plus or IP pass mode as you found out. Search DSL reports for bypassing the Gateway all together if you have there fiber service and solve the problem. I have been running with no gateway for months and it works great. If you have the older DSL or VDSL it wont work you need to have a ONT.

If all of your devices are connected to the LAN side of the Asus then there shouldn't be any issues with NAT as that doesn't come into the equation. I think you need to explain in detail what you mean by "see or share".

unfortunately I have plain old DSL.

I am just trying to share files and drives over my computer in the basement and the one upstairs and cannot share anything or even see either computer on my home network. All devices are connected to the LAN side of my Asus router with the exception of my uverse STB which must be connected to the uverse RG.
When I run the windows network troubleshooter it tells me no more than 1 device should perform NAT so I figured this was my issue.

What are the IP addresses of the two computers? Can each computer ping the other one by its IP address?

Are both computers Windows? Have you configured the network connections on each of them as Private/Home (not public) and enabled File and Printer Sharing?

Do these computers have both wired and wireless interfaces? If so make sure that both are not enabled at the same time. Make sure neither are connected to the WiFi on the U-verse.

Has this ever worked before, or is this the first time you are trying to do this?

yes they are both windows 10. one is home and one is pro.
both are configured mas private and file and printer sharing is on.
to my knowledge neither has wireless.
it has worked in the past before I got the asus router and it was on an older uverse router that has been replaced

Some ideas to try.

It is likely a router firewall issue., but.....

Go to the ethernet adapter config and see what protocols are enabled on each.
Are you running windows defender or a third party antivirus/firewall onthe pcs ?
Check what protocols the router firewall is blocking if any on the lan side.
Check the router firewall logs for xxx blocked type entries.
Once both pcs have an ip address, plug them directly, while still on, into a switch and see if sharing works

I checked that the function discovery provider host and resource were running on both computers. They were both running but I changed them from manual to automatic anyways. Network discovery is also enabled on both computers

What are you using to "see" the other computers, Windows Explorer? Can you provide a screen shot of what that Window looks like?

What did you do to configure your files to be shared?

Can you confirm that both computers are members of the same work group?

Are your network settings like this: Untitled.png

I can confirm they are members of the same workgroup. I will get a screen shot when I get home, right now I am just connecting remotely with teamviewer. I used windows explorer to see them, tried the network icon in windows explorer too. I also mapped a drive on each computer which is what I really why I wanted to get it to work. The mapped drives are not visible on the other computer though.
My network setting look like the picture.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online