What's new

Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Try mapping the drive using the IP address instead of a name if you haven't tried that already. Otherwise I'll wait for you to post the screen shot and see if there's something obvious that we're missing.

Try mapping the drive using the IP address instead of a name if you haven't tried that already. Otherwise I'll wait for you to post the screen shot and see if there's something obvious that we're missing.

I will try mapping using the IP address.

I am trying to change the permissions now as I noticed "everyone" was not in the permissions. It gives me the message "an error occured while applying security information. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied"

I tried mapping using the ip address and got different results. It wants my credentials which to my knowledge I dont have unless it's my microsoft account info?

I tried mapping using the ip address and got different results. It wants my credentials which to my knowledge I dont have unless it's my microsoft account info?
AFAIK you have to create and use local user accounts (like the way it was done prior to Windows 10). It may have worked before if it was setup using HomeGroups, but Microsoft has removed that.

I am unable to get any username and password to work either by setting up local account or using microsoft credentials. I am home now so will get you the screen shots

No matter what you do. Using a ATT gateway in pass mode will get you a double nat. There is no way to turn off nat on the gateway. Just look at your Nat table in pass mode it still keeps adding up. ATT don't want you using your own device that's the bottom line. There bridge mode is NOT bridge mode as you know

A fiber to the house is the only way at this time I know of to bypass there gateway. And thanks to the people who have done there homework that have figured it out.

I've just tried this on 2 fairly basic Windows 10 computers, neither of which had any shared files. Provided that both of those Function Discovery services were running each computer could see an entry for itself and the other one under "Network" in Windows Explorer.

let me know if there is anything you specifically want me to try and ill get a screenshot

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 2.png
    2.png
    148 KB · Views: 236
let me know if there is anything you specifically want me to try and ill get a screenshot
That's very strange. It's almost as if you computer doesn't have a network interface at all. I'd expect to see something under Network. Even it can't see the other computer I'd expect it to be able to see itself and the router (see my previous post about Function Discovery).

Can you check your network adaptor settings: Untitled.png Untitled2.png

It's probably worth turning on SMB support to give us another means of discovery: Untitled0.png

and...I pretty much got it to work. I can at least map my drives now. the trick was to put microsoftaccount\myemailaddress\ as the username.
I am still unable to see anything whatsoever in the "network" of windows explorer

my network adapter settings are the same as yours on the first screen. on your 2nd screen, I have both boxes checked, allow other network...internet connection.

on your 2nd screen, I have both boxes checked, allow other network...internet connection.
That shouldn't really be enabled (unless you have a very specific reason to). So untick the top box and the one below should be greyed out.

and...I pretty much got it to work. I can at least map my drives now. the trick was to put microsoftaccount\myemailaddress\ as the username.
Looks like this is a side effect of setting up Windows using an online account rather than the traditional local account. Which is one of the reasons I make a point of never using a Windows 10 online account, it breaks too much of the old stuff.

Last edited:
I unchecked the allow other networks box on both computers.
im completely against using online accounts as well. funny enough, I had to set it up using this for my daughters minecraft account to let us reinstall the app.
Thank You for all of the help!

It's fair enough having to create an online account that you can use to download apps etc. when required. But the Windows 10 install/setup process makes it really hard to choose to use local accounts instead of always being connected to Microsoft (which of course is what they want).

on your 2nd screen, I have both boxes checked, allow other network...internet connection.
I suspect that might be the reason for the "More than one device is performing network address translation" message you got.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online