What's new

Download master not connecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Espenol

New Around Here
Hey guys! New user here

Stopped using my router for anything other than routing a long time ago, but yesterday figured out I would try to get Download Master to work instead of starting from scratch with my RPi3. Found out about Merlin and it seems to work very well, no issue connecting my External HDD and installing Download Master.

I have downloaded several torrents using Download Master. There is an issue, however. When I connect to Download Master it all works out, but suddenly I can not connect to Download Master anymore. Neither using the app or web portal. After some time it seems like it may start working again though. For example, I went to bed last night and could not connect then, but this morning I could again.

Any tips? Running 380.70 as that is the latest Merlin for my AC66U.

Love everything about this router and don't wanna buy a new one just because of unreliable torrenting.

Hi Espenol!

Welcome to this unlimited source of knowledge forum (at least for people like me that knows almost nothing)

Regarding your issue, it happens (at least to me) from time to time that DM stops responding.

What I do to solve it, is disable and re enable it under Usb Aplication sheet on the main gui (you will not lose your download progress)

You may also want to look at this thread where I told my experience to manualy update DM to a newer version that the one that comes up from built-in update feature.

The newest version (x.105) has brought me much more stability than previous one (x.104). In fact, I don't even recall the last time I had to do that disable/enable procedure to bring it back to life.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the warm welcome! I am tempted to try to force an update on Download Master, but I am a bit skeptical. I am running a rather old router, while yours is more new.

Also, I had a lot of bad luck last night. First, as Download Master did not work, I tried to disable/enable it again. Did not work. I then tried to delete some files on the router to try to reset the Download Master program when I uninstalled and installed Download Master again. Did not work either.

Second, when I wanted to stream some videos from my HDD to my TV, which had been working the night before (when I configured everything), my LG WebOS TV could not find the drive over Samba (but my phone and PCs still could). When I then tried to reset the router, I could no longer access my HDD through the router. It did not and does not show up on the overview when you log in to the router anymore. I connect the drive (2.5 inch external HDD, no external power), and the blue light on the HDD turns on, but then after a few seconds it stops. The disk connects just fine to my PCs, but I guess I have to run some checks on the partition.

I am a bit discouraged to attempt to fix all these issues. It was working like a dream two evenings ago, but already yesterday it was just a heap of problems. Configurin a Raspberry Pi would perhaps take longer, but may be more stable and I may learn more instead of just troubleshooting? I don't know, I really want this to just work... If the issues I describe are common issues with well known solutions, I would be really happy to know, as I have not been able to find them :(

Run your drive from the USB 2 port or set the USB 3 port to run as USB 2. May also fix Download Master. Better yet get a powered external drive.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Run your drive from the USB 2 port or set the USB 3 port to run as USB 2. May also fix Download Master. Better yet get a powered external drive.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I think both ports on my router are USB 2.0, while my HDD is USB 3.0. Powered external drive is not an option unfortunately, I find them extremely impractical for anything other than this specific use of connecting to a NAS or similar.

Torrent downloading programs like Download Master or Transmission require a lot of memory, creating a swap file or partition may help!

I managed to solve the problem;
what i did was

format a new USB disk under the router .

take it out and then just copy and paste the 2 backupfiles in this thread into the disk. turn off the radios and On again (press the bottom right button on the router)
Then go to the asus router admin page > USB application and u will see install under donwload master ; install or update. Do the install or update and it will work this time u will go to the torrents page

For another HDD disk i did not format
delete everything that is asus related and just copy and paste everything from the earlier USB disk that i created

now both disks work fine . cheers

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!