What's new

Download speed still capped after disabling QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superhands

New Around Here
Got a bit of a weird issue. I had QoS running (cake) which limited my download speed on my DSL-AX82u . However after disabling QoS in the web ui the speed is still capped? I have tried resetting to factory settings, reinstalling the firmware, even reverting back to asus firmware. Is there any way this setting could be getting carried over?

I'm not sure what else i'd do to test it. If I plug in another router, it is faster at the normal speed.

What speeds are you signed up to receive vice what you're actually getting? Make sure your line filters are in place and working.

It's an 80mbps service to which my router is synched at about 71mbps.

I am however hitting a hard limit of 62mbps across all tests that i'm trying, on wired ethernet. 62Mbps was about the speed I was limited to when QoS was enabled, however having turned that off i'd expect to see the speed increase but it's like the settings hanging around. Resetting to factory defaults and even reinstalling firmware i'm still hitting a 62mbps limit.

If I plug in another router, it is faster at the normal speed.
This menas that there is an another router that can go above 62Mbps? Did you used the exact same cables and filter than what you used with the Asus?

Yes, the line is capable of making use of the 70odd mb it is synced at, but something just seems to be stuck after enabling then disabling qos in that it is still limiting it to 62mb

@superhands, a suggestion if you haven't done it (or checked it) already. Go to the Administration > Privacy tab and click the Withdraw button if it is available. Certain features like AiProtection and others can cause a slowdown. Typically withdrawing from those services will improve one's speed.

62Mbps seems about right for an fttc connection over a reasonable distance synced at 70ish. What speed did you have before you first enabled QoS?
Don't forget, repeated disconnects or reboots can and will knock the speed down - takes a few weeks to recover.

Last edited:
Got a bit of a weird issue. I had QoS running (cake) which limited my download speed on my DSL-AX82u . However after disabling QoS in the web ui the speed is still capped? I have tried resetting to factory settings, reinstalling the firmware, even reverting back to asus firmware. Is there any way this setting could be getting carried over?

I'm not sure what else i'd do to test it. If I plug in another router, it is faster at the normal speed.
Are both HW/FC show as enabled after turning off CAKE QoS? It should be since you did a factory reset. Possibly try unplugging ISP modem for 30 seconds after changes & retest. I was having was a weird issue while trying CAKE and going back to FlexQoS. It's worth a try.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I've turned off QoS but it shows:
Archer: Enabled - Flow Cache: Disabled

What could be keeping that disabled?

Also i'm using the built in modem in the dsl-ax82u not a seperate one

62Mbps seems about right for an fttc connection over a reasonable distance synced at 70ish. What speed did you have before you first enabled QoS?
Don't forget, repeated disconnects or reboots can and will knock the speed down - takes a few weeks to recover.
I was able to get close to the sync speed, minus a little bit, around 68/69 if the line was synced at about 71.

Speed was capped lower with cake enabled to bring ping times down when downloads are going. Just weird having disabled it I would have expected the speeds to go back up but seems to still be limited somewhere.

thanks in the end I went in and revoked the permission from trend micro and both show enabled now. Still getting capped at 62mbps though :/
Contact your ISP and have them run a health check on your modem. Are you running the speed test thru the router GUI?

Are you performing speed tests via Wifi or over a lan cable?

Contact your ISP and have them look in to any issues on their end.
Using Ethernet cable and testing using both the speed test in the Merlin gui and other speed tests like ookla/fast/cloudflare etc all topping out at the same 62mbps .

ISP don’t want to know as they can see it synched at 71mbps to the roadside cab so as far as they care there’s no problem.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online