What's new

Downloads disconnect my internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rawfa

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Whenever I have to download something that requires large bandwidth my internet goes down (along with my phone). I've read somewhere about this guy who was having a similar problem when using utorrent that fixed it by changing something on the router settings (I have a Rt-n66r-n900). I constantly have to transfer and receive large files and I cannot be rebooting all the time. Any thoughts?

Hi guys,

Whenever I have to download something that requires large bandwidth my internet goes down (along with my phone). I've read somewhere about this guy who was having a similar problem when using utorrent that fixed it by changing something on the router settings (I have a Rt-n66r-n900). I constantly have to transfer and receive large files and I cannot be rebooting all the time. Any thoughts?

Not sure what your issue might be but Asus just released a new firmware for the RT-N66U just a few hours ago.

Hi guys,

i had the problem with my old router. I haven't had it with the ac68r. But i run an older version of utorrent that is more stable. you also may need to reduce the amount of clients it can connect to. It could also be your modem that screws up. Basically, the issue is how many clients are pinging your system or "seeders" you are receiving data from. When it becomes too many the router becomes overloaded and just borks. Reduce the amount of active people you can receive a connection from and it won't do it anymore.

the reason you may only see it with larger files is because they have more time to talk to more seeders. smaller files may finish downloading before they talk to enough to cause your router problems.

I've tried but it didn't work.

Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
Try lowering bt.connect_speed to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)
Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
Try disabling uTP? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 5)

Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
Try lowering bt.connect_speed to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

idk what client you are using, but i use utorrent. I have it set to a maximum of 100 global clients and 100 peers per torrent. You might need to go even lower than that depending on the router.

the settings you describe i have no idea about or what they are doing. i just know what i was talking about was limiting the number of peers you download data from per torrent and in general how many connections you allow your torrent client to setup.

It really seems ridiculous that I have to lower my download bandwidth when the reason I've gotten this router in the first place was to be able to handle more bandwidth. There HAS to be another solution! Maybe some configuration to tell the router not to disconnect me when it sees all the incoming connections on Utorrent. I had a way worst router than this one and Utorrent worked perfectly.

How large of a DL is it? What ISP do you use?

Might be they are kicking you off for exceeding your data cap? Or you are doing something they deem illegal and to mitigate their damages, they disconnect you.

I had a similar issue before on my LAN where large transfers would cause the router to lock up. It might be a stretch, but check to see if you have a bad NIC on one of your client.

You need to INCREASE bt.connect_speed not lower it... I found that a value of 14 pretty much eliminated my disconnects on the AC68...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=144590&postcount=161

Note that this doesn't affect your download speed at all, assuming you are optimized for full bandwidth - you will still get the max download speed.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!