What's new

DS412+ - Is it overkill??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petersw

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking for a 4 bay NAS, for the following uses:

1) Media storage (I run my Plex server on a Mac Mini, so no NAS transcoding needed)
2) Time Machine backup from various Mac devices
3) Perhaps some VPN use

I've got 4x3TB WD Red drives ready to go, and was thinking of getting the DS412+, but it may be more power than I really need. Would a DS414 be a good alternative? Saving some $$$ is always a good thing!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm looking for a 4 bay NAS, for the following uses:

1) Media storage (I run my Plex server on a Mac Mini, so no NAS transcoding needed)
2) Time Machine backup from various Mac devices
3) Perhaps some VPN use

I've got 4x3TB WD Red drives ready to go, and was thinking of getting the DS412+, but it may be more power than I really need. Would a DS414 be a good alternative? Saving some $$$ is always a good thing!

Thanks!
I can offer: I debated between the DS212 and DS212+ when I bought my 2 bay. I decided on the DS212 in that nothing much that I do is CPU intensive. Indeed, that's turned out to be true. But I'm cheap. I didn't even need 4 drives, nor did I want RAID.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!