What's new

DSL+2 modem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FrenchPcdiga

New Around Here
Hello, i'm from Portugal, and i'm using a dsl+2 service, at the moment i've the NETGEAR DG834PN RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router, but i feel is not working fine, everytime i turn on my computer i need to do a restart in the netgear modem, if not, i don't have internet conection, i need to buy a new one, but i don't know witch one, i whant to buy a quality, not the chipiest, majority it's to play online, i've already buy a d-link dir-655 to use only the dsl modem from de netgear but steel do the same. My ISP don't use PPPoE.

I would recommend you find a new or used Thomson (Alcatel) Speedtouch 510 or 516 or 546, which is a simple ASDL2+ modem with simple 10/100 ethernet output, which you can link to your DIR-655 or any other router. It is set up default to bridge to your router.

I have one myself and it is beyond solid. Not one single minute of operational downtime in months other than when I go on vacation and I turn it off. These things have a legendary reputation as long as you are sticking to the simple modem models, not the wireless and all that - their wireless models and not as stable.

Its not sexy, its not a piece of art, but it just works and works - and that is all you need from the modem.

You can read more on them here:
http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglis...gateways/residential_wired/Pages/default.aspx