What's new

DSL-2740B + DIR-655 : Is that possible at all ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigthing01

New Around Here
Hi,

Hope one of you guys out there can give me a hint :rolleyes:

I have a new DSL-2740B that is working perfectly. It is connected to my ADSL provider via PPPoE and it quickly serves wirelessly my several PC's/iPhones to let them surf on the internet :D

The DSL-2740B is in one room (where the phone line is available). The PC's are in another (~10m). Until now I was using a USB/Wifi key to connect from PC to ADSL-router, and hence, moving the key around from PC to PC since there is no easy way to have a cable between those rooms :(

All I want is the PC's to reach the DSL-2740B wirelessly. This is why I recently bought the DIR-655 :confused:.

"The idea" was to have the DIR-655 LAN connected with the PC's in one room, and make it forward the requests for other networks (internet) to the DSL-2740B.

I miserably failed to do so, failed to configure it to work that way...

I feel a bit stupid asking but ... does anyone out there have a tip, an advice, anything to help me ? Is it simply possible to do so ? Is the DIR-655 the wrong equipment ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks a lot "thiggins" for your answer.

Does this mean I should buy two distinct DAP-1522 simply to do such a bridge ??!?

Because I checked the DAP-1522 PDF documentation (picture on page 2 is explicit) and it looks like I need 2 of them to bridge my networks together. One connected to my DSL-2740B that is connected to internet and wirelessly serving my house, the second connected to my remote small lan of computers to wirelessly bridge it to internet.

Is that correct ? If two of them are always needed, why don't they sell them in duo-pack ??

No, the DAP-1522 (and other bridge products) act like a wireless client that has an Ethernet computer interface (instead of USB, Cardbus, etc.). So it will connect to any wireless router or AP.

Thanks a lot Sir!

Just wondering why they put 2 of them in the promotional picture, specially the one on the adsl-router side.

I'll buy it and promess : I'll post a reply on the result.

Distinctive regards,

bigthing01

Just wondering why they put 2 of them in the promotional picture, specially the one on the adsl-router side.
Because they want you to believe that you have to use them in pairs. Caveat emptor.

Dear thiggins,

I promessed it, so here it is.

One hour ago I received my new DAP-1522. Twenty minutes later, it is installed and fully functional.

It is very easy to setup in Bridge mode as only a few parameters are needed.

Except for the "problem" that out-of-the-box it has a TCP/IP address of 192.168.0.50 and that my LAN is on 192.168.1.x, which does not ease the operation.

Five minutes lost isolating a PC, changing its address to 0.x to be able to reach the DAP-1522 and change its TCP-IP address to 1.x. Then restore the PC config and back to normal operation. Now all is connected and recheable on my isolated LAN.

Once configured, my DAP-1522 seamed to be correctly connected to my ADSL-router (DSL-2740B) via WIFI. My LAN was bridged to the ADSL-router.

I then lost at least ten minutes figuring out how to configure the "default gateway" on all workstations on my LAN to reach internet. Sometimes wee are really dumb...

I would say that it reasonably takes 5 minutes to install for someone understanding what it is doing.

Now everything is fine and, again : THANK YOU AGAIN VERY MUCH thiggins !!!

Distinctive regards,

Bigthing01

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!