What's new

DSL help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

Not sure if it's the right place to post but I'm after some DSL advice. My device is a Asus DSL AX82U. My ISP is UK sky Boardband.

Right were to start about a year ago I noticed some strange thing when playing online so update to the above modem/router, all good for about 5 months then about 2-3 weeks ago give of take aday, my line has gone bad.
I did some checks and I was getting around 64mbps download upload 16mbps but now when I checked, its now 55mbps but data rate 50mbps down and up 10mps yet 8 data rate. So I called my isp got a engineer out, after 3-4 hours he said all sorted and should take a week to settle, so I waited a week and was no change if anything download data was now 48mbps up 8mb.
So called my isp again, engineer come out yet could not see nothing yet I now notice g.inp is now off! and download now 42mbps upload 10mbps. And after10 min at address 20min cab, engineer was gone and things are worse.

On my dsl setting page I notice strange signal reading, see pic
20220721_031706.jpg

Also I connect to dsl yet can take 5 to 10 minutes to sign in, same on there device I get above problems

Anyone with any ideas??

Last edited:
Also I do a isp line test and it still fails, with there device connected.

To me the upline line ath and signal ath use to be higher than download my snr margin use to be 3 on both. GInp use to be on and inp was 47 +ish.

Any help welcome to help argue with my ISP

Last edited:
So 3ed engineer and he thinks his found the problem, the cable up the road has a slice in it, from crap roadworks. Yet his unable to fix. As need the hole junction done. Sounds like a big job.

If your neighbors have no quality of service complaints, it sounds like you are going to have to live with what you have.

I have spoken to 1 neighbour's and there worse than me, but will see and will ask other neighbor's and get them to complane too. if I have to i will rally the little town :)
Also the engineer said I'm on a 80/20 line and under 250m from cab I should be more 70 and 18 mbps.
At mo I get from 42/8 depending on how the line feels and g.inp still has not returned.

Also the min form my isp is 48, so it's under there threshold.

But fingers crossed there get on the job. Yet in x time will have fttp the cable is there the engineers said but not setup, part of the problem neighbor's see them pulling cable some weeks ago about time it started.

Last edited:
Just had another engineer call was not expected today but he said was here about the other engineer went of did some bit. Still no real gain. So there fixing bit but not found the problem.

So since Fridays last engineer, no real change.
On sunday/monday about 12am ish I got DC then reconnected and got G.inp back no real increase.
Monday I called my isp again they said there have to escalate. So will hassle them more in a day or 2.
But line tests are all getting the OK now. But speeds have not returned even with g.inp. see picture.
I'm thinking it's my upload that's the problem?
Screenshot_20220726-102545_Chrome.jpg

A update, so it been a bit and my download speed returned to 60mbs and upload still 10mbs so thinking they have fixed the problem there end and now a problem my end as my upload signal margin is not reducing to 3 as it should,it's at 6 and my upload has not really returned. So thinking what could it be.

1 cable from master socket.
2 master socket.

So my master socket I changed about a year ago, to a BT mk5 with mk4 rj45 socket front an not happy with it so could be that.

Will change cables and see first will use the asus smaller cable to see.

After a bit of advice on a new cable, How is this for a replacement DSL cable.
DSL Cable
after a twisted shielded cable?
Unbranded cable from ebay - Should be OK but probably overkill if it really is what it says it is. But there's really no advantage to using shielded 8 core Ethernet cable for DSL as only two of the wires are used and there's no earth connection for the shield at either end. Still, it makes it sound good in the advert. That said, the shielding might help a tiny bit if you're laying a long length of it right alongside a mains power cable. The disadvantage of using Ethernet cable for DSL is that it's unnecessarily heavy and inflexible compared to a standard telephone cable (which may or may not be a concern).

Any decent quality RJ11 telephone cable should be more than good enough. Bearing in mind that the majority noise/interference issues will be with the 2+ kilometres of cable running between your house and the exchange. An extra 5 feet at your end won't make that much difference.

thank you for your input, and well was thinking shielded as cable is 5 meters and it go's from hallway, around the door frame, then throw wall and about 1ft is the router. and what your saying about cable yes its only 2 core normally twisted so its 4 wires.... from that am thinking

2nd cable?

tyes its only 2 core normally twisted so its 4 wires....
That's not what "twisted" means. It means each pair of wires is twisted. So a standard 8 core Ethernet cable has 4 pairs of wires and each pair is twisted. So for a DSL connection you would be using one pair (two wires twisted) and the remaining twisted pairs are redundant.

Last edited:
thanks you, cable sorted now i end up getting 1 from my online pc hardware shop, will see how it go's.

I removed my front socket plate and used the default dsl cable and filter and upload increased by 0.8mb so am thinking its one of the two now. so will try a new cable first.
I blame the combo of socket and rj45-rj11 cable. Will default it all and see.

Last edited:
Abit more info, I changed dsl cable + master socket adsl filter no change. But notice if the ISP device is connected my speeds were increaseing soon as I put the dsl ax82u the speeds are now dropping...

New update, after a lot of checking, sending email etc, it seems my line is now fixed. Yet have lost 7mb down 3mb up. So think this is my ISP capping limits, maybe 1-2 of my neighbor's got internet.

I went to this site https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It tells me what my limits etc are, yet my address was not on the list so had to find my UPRN. Once I did it listed the town close to me, not my village I live in, but this is what i got.
Screenshot_20220816-163554_Chrome.jpg

So looking at this, my speeds seem ok, and my ISP device siginal etc look like

Screenshot_20220815-104613_Chrome.jpg

I have been using the ISP device for a week, keeping eye.

I will go back to my DSL-AX82U on the weekend.

So next question, Anyone know a bit about G.Inp, as I was going to reduce my siginal. What affect would it have. G.INP is what makes my down siginal idle around 3, anyone know, could this cause G.inp problems, like increaseing Interleaving?

Orginaly I was running about 6-7 months with -2 siginal.