What's new

Dual band N Wireless Router with gigabit swich

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kashelz

New Around Here
Hi, its time to get a new wireless router for home. Currently using WRT54GL with DD-WRT, it works fine, but it will go for second house and I need a new one. And I want to get some harder tasks to do.

What I wanted to ask is, if there is any dual band router that can be used as two different routers? I ask this as I want one device, but need to share internet/network on two different locations, one is here in my house (N for greater speed) and second I need to share wireless outside of the house for like 300 meters to another room and there will be router as receiver (no high speed is needed) and then wired to computer. As I understand I need external antennas, which can be changed to get overlay outside of the house.

Also I have few desktop computers, that will be connected with gigabit lan together for faster file exchange. USB port on Router maybe is a good thing also.

I saw great futures of the NETGEAR WNDR3700, but it have intergraded antennas... similar hardware is in the D-Link DIR-825 B1, it have also two antennas, does it have each one for each band?

And sorry for bad English, please suggest what is good for me.
Thanks, best regards, Kashelz.

Each of the DIR-825's antennas are connected to both radios, i.e. are dual-band.

I wouldn't try doing this with a single router. You would be better off using a separate AP/high-gain antenna combo like this.

Then there is no real reason for dual band, as I looked tests 2.4 Ghz works better than 5Ghz, so 5Ghz is useless. Any recommendations for single band N router, that have a good speed and range, also have gigabit swich. Maybe there is some that have great hardware inside? Maybe that can have DD-WRT on it? Thanks. :)

The normal recommendation is D-Link's DIR-655. But they have been having problems with flaky firmware lately. You might look at the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

What about dual band? If I have one radio then I must use N or G, but when mixed, there will be speed issue write? Then I must have dual band, like 5 Ghz for N and 2.4 Ghz for G? What about security, if I used N (or G) and WPA2, will the speed be limited or not? Or it depends on what router is used. :confused: Any recommendations for dual band? Is it NETGEAR WNDR3700 or what about DIR-825 B1? The price also is important.

Thanks for answer Tim. ;)

Why are you back on dual band? I thought you decided you didn't need it.

Why are you back on dual band? I thought you decided you didn't need it.
I may chose it if the price is almost the same. In my location DIR-655 is overpriced and Buffalo is not in stock anymore, I will need to import it form outside of my country. And for dual band isn’t it better if there is both N and G clients?

The best dual-band router that I have seen lately is the NETGEAR WNDR3700.

The best dual-band router that I have seen lately is the NETGEAR WNDR3700.
What about D-Link DIR-825 B1 against it? They have similar hardware, but greater price, also D-Link support i think is better (in my location for sure, no NETGEAR products at all), but is there all B1 or there is also older version still available? I can get one for pretty good price, but it is not possible to know if it is B1 or A1. :eek: