What's new

Dual WAN - load balancing multiple SSIDs with failover but also routing certain devices over specific WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MimiC808

New Around Here
Hey, so I currently have the following set-up. One Virgin 1gb line which usually runs at 1.1gb and one Onestream 1gb line (Vodafone I believe). This was set up as failover on an ASUS GT-BE98. I thought it was a waste just having it set up as failover so I started using loadbalancing instead. I then realised that my two Virgin boxes would not work if they want out over the Onestream line (the boxes need to be on the Virgin line to work, must need access to specific servers that are only accessible on their network?).

I have a QNAP box with a 10GB card in and I installed Sophos home on it which I believed would do the loadbalancing better and I also have a 10gb switch so I had some wired devices and then the rest on WiFi. I started going totally around the houses to be honest with the set-up and then got to the point where I had that much hardware running it was costing a fortune in electricity!! I then started auto shutting down things over night and auto turning them back on in the morning but say I wanted to stay up and hour latter and I forgot, things would start shutting down, I't swear at them and either boot it all back up or go to bed!!

I think I would like to go all WiFi really, so much easier. I have numerous devices, phones, tablets, PS5, loads of Shelly stuff running plugs, bulbs etc.

What I would ideally like to end up with is something like this - both WAN connections being used, but if either goes down then all traffic uses the other. I realise that if the Virgin line goes down then the Virgin boxes will wobble. There is no way around that I can see. 3 SSIDs, maybe 4 - one that has to have the Virgin stuff on that is usually routed out via the virgin line and then probably all the IOT gear out on one line with all the regular browsing traffic and then one other SSID with the other traffic, IPTV, streaming, PS5, or maybe that is all better being loadbalanced.

I also live in a shared house and I am good friends with the people in the other flats. They have some shared garbage line so it maybe that I would carve them up some of my bandwidth down the line, I know on the Sophos box you can do that but that would mean bringing that back into the mix.

Like I said I have gone round and round in circles and I am kind of back where I started. I have look all over the internet to try and find a suitable solution but am a bit stuck. There is a lot of people saying that the ASUS dual wan is not amazing and that maybe putting something like a Mikrotik in to handle the loadbalancing would be better, I would like to keep all the WiFi on the ASUS as I also have a couple of Aimesh nodes hooked up to it, maybe keep the DHCP on there also?

I am open to suggestions really, whatever would work that wouldn't a) cost a fortune to run in electricity b) purchase loads more hardware to get it all working!

Please could somebody see what they think would be possible? I can give any more info needed. I mean if it could all be done on the ASUS ideal, I would just leave that running all night.

Cheers.

There is a lot of people saying that the ASUS dual wan is not amazing

Dual WAN with 2x Ethernet connections on every single Asus router I have ever tested wasn't just "not amazing", but simply "not working" unless the connections were physically removed. The fail over/back may never happen as a result or may be too slow and unreliable for practical applications. Some folks report better success with Ethernet + USB port, perhaps with specific LTE modem devices attached. The load balancing is very basic logic and you may find it breaking connections. You may have a better chance with your new BE-class router, but honestly... unlikely.

I also live in a shared house and I am good friends with the people in the other flats. They have some shared garbage line so it maybe that I would carve them up some of my bandwidth down the line

Not a good idea. You as the owner of the ISP account become legally responsible for everything they do online.

That's fine, so I can easily not bother sharing out my bandwidth, that was just another thought. So the failover did seem to work, if I turned off one of the modems it did failover then back again, it just seems like such a waste of a line. What would you recommend? doing the load balancing on something else? I know it is a pretty complex set-up but at the same time not that complex!

if I turned off one of the modems it did failover then back again

Exactly. You triggered the fail over by hand after turning the modem off and breaking the Ethernet connection. In real life when the Ethernet connection is up but the service is down it may not fail over and when the service is back up it may not fail back.

What would you recommend?

Getting a proper equipment if reliable Multi-WAN is required. Entry-level business routers under $100 like TP-Link ER605, Ubiquiti ER-X, MikroTik hEX are doing Multi-WAN properly. If faster than Gigabit connections are needed - not easy to find cheap solutions.

I suppose multi gig isn’t essential but for future proofing ideally 2.5gb ports would be a bonus. How much would i be looking to spend for that kind of unit, and would I keep using the ASUS for the WiFi etc and just use the new box in between the ASUS and the two WAN modems?

Just looking at the TP-Link gear, looks pretty much like what I’m after. I could get one of the higher models then add the WiFi 7 APs down the line and sell the ASUS.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!