What's new

E4200V2 With Cisco Connect Cloud

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can have an opinion just as others do, Steve.

Just because something is "unpopular with many" doesn't mean that it is correct. I have yet to see anyone present proof to back up the strong allegations being made against Cisco on this topic. People are just spreading FUD.

If I were not being neutral, I would be banning posts on the topic. Instead, I'm asking people to back up their claims with fact.

Tim,

I must say this is why I enjoy this site so much. You may have a view that I disagree with, but you are willing to listen to the arguments and be level-headed about it. You also, as you state, don't use the "banhammer" or delete button on posts that are contrary to your view.

I do not own any of these devices with the cloud ability - but I can certainly say I would prefer to have my own connection to the device and not have to sign up on someone else's servers.

As for monitoring my activity - sure, it's certainly possible. But as you stated, is there proof? And what does the privacy policy say?

One thing I can attest to is the "dummification" of society as a whole lately - everyone wants something that works, and doesn't really care about the technology behind it. Apple has thrived on it, and other companies are eager to get a piece of that pie.

I remember when I was in school I prided myself on learning how to do networking and run routers. I WANTED the complexity after I learned how to use it. The difference between today and those days was the fact that I had an interest in how something worked so that I could fix it and modify it to my needs, within reason. Today, people don't CARE how things work - they just want them to.

Anyway, just saying thanks for being at least entertaining to the ideas of others, even if sometimes you take flak for it. This forum is by far one of the best forums I've ever been to. If anyone doubts that, go take a look at some of the Apple rumor sites and see how they ban anyone not pro-Apple, even if you have a valid point and are not being an instigator.

But for this forum's chief cahooney and moderator, there's a greater expectation of neutrality.

As to dumming-down. Agree. But with that comes naivete' . And that's rampant, esp. among Gen Y'ers.

Last edited:
But for this forum's chief cahooney and moderator, there's a greater expectation of neutrality.

As to dumming-down. Agree. But with that comes naivete' . And that's rampant, esp. among Gen Y'ers.

While there are certainly times I agree with the advice you provide users, I think your opinions are removing your neutrality.

He's never been defensive of Cisco for this move. He did write an article stating how he liked it - that's his right. What he's done here, is asked you and others stating as fact that they record your internet activities to provide proof for your statements. There is nothing wrong with that.

Do I believe they could be using that information, or have plans to? Yes, I believe it. But do I have proof? No.

And while I did start to agree with your last statement, you completely removed its validity when you put a blanket statement on an age group.

You speak of neutrality, but then you fall victim to black and white statements that have no real data to back them up.

Well I own this EA4500 and E4200. With EA4500 has the CCC firmware loaded after I did a factory reset. It got pushed to it automatically. Once that was done then I could never get back into the default IP address as the admin. I had to sign-up for CCC non-complacence. Those who want proof you need to go out and buy this EA Series from Cisco then you'll see the proof.

I can name some other companies doing the same process as Cisco but they tell you up front what to expect before your purchase such equipment.

You speak of neutrality, but then you fall victim to black and white statements that have no real data to back them up.
You're right.
Opinions often have no basis in hard fact. Nor does a belief like: Do you believe in [Global Warming, a religion's ideals, redistribution of wealth, ..]
So shut my mouth!

It's just geek-chat anyway. Like Tipster's experience (above) which may be reproducible/factual.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!