What's new

EA8500 isn't working... better wifi router? Apple Mac Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R

Rippin6gears

So we have our EA8500 for about a year now on the best surfboard modem(can't remember the model number) in the center of the house. Signal strength never is a problem in our house. Have to reset router every day it seems like for our iPhones or MacBook that aren't connected 24/7 as the iPads usually stays home. Get the annoying wifi is connected but then get error trying to load mail, can't download apps or open safari saying no connection. Not a tech savvy member, think I have had it with this Linksys. Any recommendations on router?

Wired- 1 vizio tv, Apple TV, and Comcast security wired to router ethernet.
Wifi- 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 MacBooks, 1 amazon box, 1 tv, ring doorbell and door lock.

Hey, I am brand new here and by no means a wifi or computer expert.

I was having trouble with my apple devices too. Not exactly your problem though.

I had 2 iPad's that were intermittently dropping wifi. A second generation iPad and a brand new pro 10.5. Sometimes they would stay connected find, and other times it would continually knock me off the wifi (sometimes I'd have to re-enter the password, other times I'd just have to select the network again).

I had an old Linksys router. It was really outdated though - a Wrt54GS (G series) router. So I don't really know that my connection issues had to do with the Linksys brand in general. I think it was just really outdated.

I did a ton of reading and settled on an Asus or Netgear brand router (figured I'd try a different brand, just in case), as those seemed to be the most recommended - either a Netgear Nighthawk series or an Asus (rt-ac68u or rt-ac88u). I also settled on an ac1900, as that's plenty for my 8 devices (and although all 8 stay logged into wifi, usually only 3-4 are in use at a time).

Anyway... I ended up getting the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (ac-1900) dual band router. I've only had it for going on 3 days but so far I absolutely love it. All my devices have has rock solid wifi connection & signal strength on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz everywhere in my house (2 floor, roughly 1500-1800 sq.ft.) and out in my yard. The iPad's haven't dropped signal once (knock on wood...). I am getting great speed too. I have 20mbps internet right now, and am getting 23-24nbps average speeds on all my devices on wifi, on both bands (which is the same speed I get on my Ethernet connected devices).

Like I said, I'm no expert and I don't have a lot of experience with different routers. But I seen the problems with apple devices and just figured I'd share .
Good luck with whatever you pick!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!