What's new

ebtables kernel module and various questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sephren

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

yesterday i received my new ac68u unit and i am very pleased with the device (especially wifi performance is superior).

But now i've a few questions.

1) I connected to the router via telnet and tried to configure ebtables to my needs. This requires the kernel modules ebt_arp and ebt_arpreply to be loaded. When i modprobe them, they can be loaded, but the dependency to ebtables is missing, so my command is not working.

So i'd like to know the following:
- how can i add those dependencies?
- is this working at all?
- if it works: can i use a cronjob with @reboot to make the change permanent?
- if all of that isn't possible: can i achieve this with merlinwrt?

2) I am using the router in Access Point mode, as i have to use an external modem provided by my ISP. Unfortunately a lot of cool features like VPN are not accessible anymore. Is there a possibility to run the unit in AP mode with those features activated?

3) Is there a possiblity to underclock the cpu/ram? It's fast enough for my needs, but the ac68u gets pretty warm and uses a lot more of energy than my old device. Any experiences here regarding this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards!

Well, i just tried to get my ebtables command running with MerlinWRT and it worked out. So point 1) is considered to be answered.

Anyone knows answers concerning 2) and 3)? :)

6-7 Watts is too much? :)

I don't think under clocking is supported at all.

You can run it as a router; you will just be double nat'd. Maybe the DMZ zone will help?

6-7 w would be awesome. In fact my own measurement showed about 10 w. Merlin's firmware reported CPU temperature to be about 86° c.

Thanks for the advice, i'll try out :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!