What's new

EnGenius ESR9850 can't get ip address from Wan port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netsonic

Occasional Visitor
The router used to get ip address (dynamic ip address) from a wall mounted network port in a hotel room (acturally it got ip address from another router in the hotel).

But now it can't ip address. I tried factory reset, it didn't work. But my laptop can get ip address if it's directly connected to the wall mounted port.

I assigned a static ip address in the wan setting, then I can ping the router, does that mean the wan port on the ESR9850 still working? if it works, then why it can't get ip address from another router while my laptop can?

Router's WAN port requests IP address from whatever service it's connected to. Hotel's cat5 cable connection should link to a standard compatible DHCP server and your router's config should call for DHCP on the WAN port, and NOT other options related to DSL. That should be the factory default.

Your laptop, accessing your router via wire or wireless, sends a DHCP request for an IP address to the DHCP server in your router. This is independent of what happens for the WAN port's DHCP request. If your laptop fails, it will likely revert/default to an IP address that begins with 169. Open a command window and type: ipconfig /all, to see what's been assigned.

@ stevech
The wan setting in the router is set to "dynamic ip address", I think it means "get ip address from DHCP server". I think even if nothing is connected to the rouetr, the router can still get ip address from hotel's DHCP server.

For laptop, both wired and wirelsss network card are set to ""automaticlly get ip address".

The laptop can get ip address from hotel's DHCP server if it is directly connected to the port on the wall, the ip address is 192.168.1.x,the gateway is 192.168.1.1, the submask is 255.255.255.0.
If the laptop connects to the router, since I assign an ip address (192.168.0.1) to the router and enable DHCP in the lan setting, the ip address that the laptop has is 192.168.0.x.

I've been having a very similar problem with my Engenius ESR-9850 router as well. My ESR9850 WAN port is plugged into a Linksys CM-100 cable modem, and for the past month, it has not been able to obtain an IP address (also set to "dynamic ip address"). Before the past month, it had worked perfectly. I have had to swap it out for my older router until I can get the problem figured out.

Interestingly, if I plug my ESR-9850 WAN port into a LAN port of my older router, it is able to obtain an address assigned by my older router.

I have tried firmware upgrading, reset, and power cycling, all to no avail.

I just emailed engenius with my situation, and i'll update this tread as I hear back.

Never heard back from engenius. I ended up swapping cable modems, and everything works again. I couldn't track down the source of the problem. For testing, I utilized 2 different brand cable modems, and 2 different brand wireless routers one of which was the engenius esr9850. The only combination that didnt work was the linksys cm100 cable modem with the engenius esr9850 router. The 3 other combinations worked, so I'm not sure what device was malfunctioning. I went with replacing the cable modem with one from ebay since it was the cheapest solution (~$15).

wilson

Never heard back from engenius. I ended up swapping cable modems, and everything works again. I couldn't track down the source of the problem. For testing, I utilized 2 different brand cable modems, and 2 different brand wireless routers one of which was the engenius esr9850. The only combination that didnt work was the linksys cm100 cable modem with the engenius esr9850 router. The 3 other combinations worked, so I'm not sure what device was malfunctioning. I went with replacing the cable modem with one from ebay since it was the cheapest solution (~$15).

wilson

I did everything that other members mentioned here. My ESR9850v2 just would not acquire an IP address from my ISP modem. My tp-link 340gd has no issues what so ever acquiring an address from my ISP modem. the ONLY solution that worked for me is..I made the 340gd as the primary gateway router, I shut off the wifi signal from the 340gd. I passed the WAN signal from the modem to the 340gd then from the 340gd to the WAN port on the ESR9850v2. That's the only way I was able to get the ESR9850v2 to work for my home network. My ESR9850v2 is doing all the dhcp and networking duties and wifi. The 340gd is just passing along the WAN signal.

I have no idea why the ESR9850v2 will not pickup/acquire the WAN IP address directly from the ISP modem.

I recently deployed an ESR1221n2 for a client of mine..and that installed and configured with minimal headaches. Oh..in the event that anyone configures and ESR1221n2 for their needs or clients..the Admin password did not accept any numbers for some reason. I had to use alphabet characters only.

It's interesting that the ESR9850v2 is called an "AP router". Which when treated as an AP first and not a "gateway" router it seems to do the job. yet that same logic does not work with the ESR1221n2 and that is also called an "AP router". Strange if you ask me. I love Engenius hardware tho. Have been deploying for clients for a few years. Just each model I've handled has it's own unique quirks.

Hopefully this can help others.

Would it be to outrageous to think that the hotel router has a blacklist of devices' MAC addresses that they don't want on their network? Such as the MAC addresses for APs, bridges, routers, etc?

Another unlikely thing is the ARP procedure is failing in like manner to the above.

Only a bout with WireShark and a switch with mirrored ports can diagnose.

Otherwise, I'd hazard a guess that the Engenious is not strictly complying with the DHCP data formats and protocols and some DHCP servers tolerate it, some don't.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!