What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I used the latest driver from Realtek for Airlink AWLL6075 USB wireless 11N adapter, the driver data is Mar/2010, and tried w/ and w/o wireless client utility, tried 802.11b/g/n and N only on Win XP 32-bit, the wireless pormance is still poor.

XP Pro SP3 has to be tweaked on the network side if you want it to work. Like for example by default Wireless USB NiC processor is not used. Then if it's not use then XP uses your system processor instead. Also called OffloadProcessor. Registry dword would need to be inserted.

Network Performance under XP only!
Offload processor tasks to network adapter's with intelligent processors.
Open Regedit and Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Edit or Create the REG_DWORD key "DisableTaskOffload" and set it to 0 to Enable the Task Offload. By default, if this key is present, it's set to 1 to disable the task offload

ESR9850 Doesn't Want to Play Nice With DAP1522 & Dlink 655

Hi,

Tipstir saw your youtube short clips and wanted more info on setting up the ESR9850. I connect via Cablevision (NY) to a DIR655 (DHCP) to a DAP1522 setup as an AP (2.4 G only with static address). I wanted to connect the ESR9850 (2.4 N only, NO DHCP with static address). If I connect the ESR9850 to my network the DAP1522 and DIR655 start to loose connections to the internet.

I tried switching the DAP1522 to a switch only and then connecting the ESR9850 leaving the DIR655 as the DHCP. Problems of low connectivity and loosing access to internet.

What would be the best solution to add (2.4 N) access to my network while still keeping the DAP1522 as an AP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim, your web site is the best. Based on your reviews I purchased the net gear I use. I will be adding a NAS soon based on your suggestions and reviews.

THANKS!

Hi,

Tipstir saw your youtube short clips and wanted more info on setting up the ESR9850. I connect via Cablevision (NY) to a DIR655 (DHCP) to a DAP1522 setup as an AP (2.4 G only with static address). I wanted to connect the ESR9850 (2.4 N only, NO DHCP with static address). If I connect the ESR9850 to my network the DAP1522 and DIR655 start to loose connections to the internet.

I tried switching the DAP1522 to a switch only and then connecting the ESR9850 leaving the DIR655 as the DHCP. Problems of low connectivity and loosing access to internet.

What would be the best solution to add (2.4 N) access to my network while still keeping the DAP1522 as an AP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim, your web site is the best. Based on your reviews I purchased the net gear I use. I will be adding a NAS soon based on your suggestions and reviews.

THANKS!

Yes this can happen in this type of setup. I've tried my other network gear with the ESR9850 and they can't work as AP with it as AP itself. Sooner or later you'll knock out those unit wireless connections. Even to add another ESR9850 to the mix will perform the same way. That's why I only have out to the two ESR9850 one is the main DHCP server disabled wireless radio Second is the main AP disabled DHCP server, NAT, SPI and that one runs 1.09 firmware. It can't run 1.12 because I loose about 10% of my Signal connection.

I always believed to keep G54 off the N300 dual network. But not with ESR9850. So everything has to be 802.11(b,g,n) mixed!

Do you need 3 AP running over there? DAP are you using wired devices into that to make those wireless as CB?

ESR9850 May Go Back To Store!

Hi Tipstir,

I have DAP1522 (on 3rd floor) connected to a port on the DIR655 (DHCP) in the basement. I set the DAP1522 to switch mode and connected the ESR9850(2.4 N static address) to one of the ports on the DAP1522. It works for a while and then I can't connect to the internet.

I was thinking of switching the ESR9850 (DHCP 2.4 G) in the basement to the DAP1522 (2.4 G AP) on the third floor. I would then connect the DIR655 to a port on the DAP as (2.4 N AP). Not sure if this would work.

Same setup as above but turning DAP1522 to a switch and then connecting DIR655. Not sure if this would also work.

If none of these options work then I would return the ESR9850 back to the store. Bottom line is that I need two APs and a router: router in basement, first AP on second floor and second AP on the third floor. I need all these devices to cover the entire house from basement to third floor.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Oh you have 3 floor home. Old house are newer?

ESR-9850 (DHCP) radio on

Static IP for DIR-655 disable DHCP, NAT, SPI
Static IP for DAP

Now just too bad you don't have a real switch between the ESR-9850 and the DIR-655 & DAP. This way everything you have would have a dedicated port. Daisy chaining them you loose throughput. But you got to work with what you have on hand now.

So you have something like what I use to have with the two ESR-9850 and one Belkin N+ in AP mode: 1: 802.11n 2: 802.11g
http://www.techspot.com/gallery/pc-hardware26-modding-pics/p3886-tipstir-network-model.html (note to see this larger just click on the image)

XP Pro SP3 has to be tweaked on the network side if you want it to work. Like for example by default Wireless USB NiC processor is not used. Then if it's not use then XP uses your system processor instead. Also called OffloadProcessor. Registry dword would need to be inserted.

Network Performance under XP only!
Offload processor tasks to network adapter's with intelligent processors.
Open Regedit and Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Edit or Create the REG_DWORD key "DisableTaskOffload" and set it to 0 to Enable the Task Offload. By default, if this key is present, it's set to 1 to disable the task offload

I tried reg tweak on XP SP3, still the same problem.
________
SH125

Last edited:
This one measures the TCP/IP from two different systems. It has Client/Server files. Server runs on another Host and the Client Remote runs on your Airlink.

Netcps

So run a test before and after to see your results. To use this program you need to open a CMD type: netcps -m1000 (gig) -m100 (fast meg) or -m 150 on wireless side.

Last edited:
This one measures the TCP/IP from two different systems. It has Client/Server files. Server runs on another Host and the Client Remote runs on your Airlink.

Netcps

So run a test before and after to see your results. To use this program you need to open a CMD type: netcps -m1000 (gig) -m100 (fast meg) or -m 150 on wireless side.

I used my laptop (Win7, Wifi link 5100) as server,
the desktop used to have Abit wireless 11g adapter, the result is below
---> CPS 335644.97 KPS: 327.78 MPS: 0.32
Avrg CPS 348970.13 KPS: 340.79 MPS: 0.33
Peek CPS 526552.25 KPS: 514.21 MPS: 0.50
Client disconnected. 13179904 Kb transferred in 37.77 seconds.

Then I used Airlink on desktop, the result is below:
---> CPS 338309.03 KPS: 330.38 MPS: 0.32
Avrg CPS 864718.81 KPS: 844.45 MPS: 0.82
Peek CPS 1829877.75 KPS: 1786.99 MPS: 1.75
Client disconnected. 89463808 Kb transferred in 103.46 seconds.
________
RV125

Last edited:
:eek: Wow!That's really slow! I'll have to test it out for myself. I have network tweak tools to improve Windows XP Pro.

On Windows 7 HOP 64-bit using Atheros AR5B93 WNA OB 2010 Laptop
NetCps Results
802.11n mix over the wireless using second ESR-9850 in AP v1.00 / 1.09

I'll test Windows XP Pro SP3, LLTD V6, IPV6 on RTL WNA USB post the results here later today.

Last edited:
Wireless Adapter Testing on 7U 32 Laptop

I've tested 3 different chip-sets on 3 different brands for Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit laptop:
Source as more detail info

Tested Results:

Broadcom 802.11G 54
Onboard Wireless NIC

Netcps

RTL8191SU 802.11N 300
USB2.0 Dongle Wireless NIC

Netcps

RTL8190 802.11N 300
32-bit Card Bus Wireless NIC

Netcps

Last edited:
ESR9850 Solution Found

Hi Tipstir,

You pointed out that using a switch might help. Well I connected the DIR655 to a port on a gigabit switch. I then connected both the DAP1522 and ESR9850 to the switch.

Gave each a static address no DHCP yet. I left the DIR655 as the DHCP. All is running well. In about a week I will turn off the DHCP in the DIR655 and have the ESR9850 as the DHCP.

Eventually the DAP1522 will be just a bridge with the ESR9850 as the AP. The DIR655 will be another AP.

Again, it is always a good idea to have someone else review your network setup with more experience.

Your opinion: Currently running DIR655 with firmware 1.21 would 1.34 add any benefits?

Thanks!

I've course the usage of external switch will help. Which hardware version are you using on the DIR-655? None of those 1.3x firmwares were any good. Left my DIR-655 A3 in crate after the 1.3x firmwares make the router not functional anymore.

DIR655 with Dlink 8 Port Switch on CAT6

Hi Tipstir,

My DIR655 is v4 with Firmware 1.21 and the switch is from Dlink DGS-2208. I also put the DAP1522 into a bridge mode and the ESR9850 (AP) is still working without conflicts. My next step is to turn off the DHCP on the DIR655 and permit the ESR9850 (DHCP) to assign addresses.

I am moving slow to avoid any conflict with networked computers, printer HL-2170W, and Hawkings print server.

The HL2170W printer is easy to setup but does not like it when the AP is changed.

Thanks again for your help.

Issues with my setup - help requested

Hi,
Been a long time reader, first time poster....
Been reading up a lot on routers here and finally decided to get 2 ESR-9850's for my network at home.
Have them setup thus:
Upstairs Media Room:
ESR9850 #1: in router mode, downstream from my cable modem. Have wifi enabled with WPA2 on this router. Using the default 192.168.0.1 on this one.

Downstairs Study:
ESR9850 #2: in repeater mode, connects to the wifi network created on ESR9850#1 upstairs. Connecting ethernet cable from my PC to the ethernet jack on the ESR9850#2. Changed the gateway IP to 192.168.0.2 so as not to conflict with ESR9850#1.

I have another laptop that connects successfully to the wireless network directly and see good speeds.
But I can only manage to get my PC downstairs to connect and work for a little bit and then I my PC gets disconnected. Can't even pull up the admin page for ESR9850 #2.
I reset and re-configure the downstairs repeater and again it works for a little bit and drops the connection.

Today, I left the laptop in standby mode for most of the day and when I turned it on just now, I tried connecting to the wifi network directly and it didn't work, kept giving me 'This connection has limited connectivity'.
Tried 3-4 times, worked on the 4th try. But the PC is still not working. Tried ipconfig /renew on the PC to no avail.

Can someone help me with this? Is this not a good/recommended setup?
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
KG

Repeater mode is a flip/flop method. I had use that feature then quickly switched to AP mode only. Since then it's been pretty stable. I use firmware 1.09 though and opted out of 1.1.2 for the second ESR-9850 and there seems to be 10% drop if I use 1.1.2. I've tested over and over again. So 1.09 is what I use. I use 1.1.2 for the main router DHCP to get the extra MSC = max session connections.

Changed the gateway IP to 192.168.0.2 so as not to conflict with ESR9850#1.
What do you mean by the "gateway IP"?
All you should need to do on the second ESR9850 is set it to Repeater mode, click the Site Survey button and choose to connect to the first ESR9850, which should appear in the site survey list.

The computer wired to the second ESR9850 should automatically pick up a proper IP address from the primary ESR9850 if it is set to obtain an IP address automatically. Check the IP address information to be sure that it is correct, i.e. has the same gateway and DNS settings as a client directly connected to the first ESR9850, but with a different IP address. You should also try pinging the first ESR9850. If you don't get a ping response, you're not really connected.

After you make the connection, go to the first ESR9850 and check the Client List on the wireless page. You should see the IP address for the second ESR9850. You should be able to ping / reach the admin page at that IP address.

Oh I didn't see this.. Are you using 192.168.0.2 for the Repeater?

DHCP range is 100 to 199
Static range is 2 to 99
The user should be okay

ESR9850 #1 192.168.0.1
ESR9850 #2 192.168.0.2

I do it a different way.

Repeater mode is a flip/flop method. I had use that feature then quickly switched to AP mode only. Since then it's been pretty stable. I use firmware 1.09 though and opted out of 1.1.2 for the second ESR-9850 and there seems to be 10% drop if I use 1.1.2. I've tested over and over again. So 1.09 is what I use. I use 1.1.2 for the main router DHCP to get the extra MSC = max session connections.

what do you mean by flip/flop?

in my situation, i don't know if i can use AP Router mode on my downstairs 9850?

What do you mean by the "gateway IP"?
All you should need to do on the second ESR9850 is set it to Repeater mode, click the Site Survey button and choose to connect to the first ESR9850, which should appear in the site survey list.

The computer wired to the second ESR9850 should automatically pick up a proper IP address from the primary ESR9850 if it is set to obtain an IP address automatically. Check the IP address information to be sure that it is correct, i.e. has the same gateway and DNS settings as a client directly connected to the first ESR9850, but with a different IP address. You should also try pinging the first ESR9850. If you don't get a ping response, you're not really connected.

After you make the connection, go to the first ESR9850 and check the Client List on the wireless page. You should see the IP address for the second ESR9850. You should be able to ping / reach the admin page at that IP address.

thiggins,
I have set the ip address of the 2nd 9850 (under system->LAN) to 192.168.0.2 and default gateway to 192.168.0.1.

Rest of the things I am doing exactly as you are saying. PC downstairs gets the same ip range and gateway (192.168.0.1) addresses as the laptop that is connected to 1st router wirelessly.
And I can ping both 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 from both my laptop as well as my PC.

So everything works, but my issue is it doesn't STAY that way.

After a while, i get an 'limited connectivity' message on my PC LAN icon.
And sure enough when I pull up the admin page for the 2nd router, under status, i see 'disconnected' from the wireless.
So i go to Wireless->Site Survey->Select the wifi network, click on connect, and then the status changes to connected, and again it will work for a while and then back to the same exercise....!

That's why tipstir's comment about flip/flop intrigues me. Not sure what that means, but it sounds like the repeater mode on the 9850's aren't very stable?
If so, that could explain my problem....

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!