What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh I didn't see this.. Are you using 192.168.0.2 for the Repeater?

DHCP range is 100 to 199
Static range is 2 to 99
The user should be okay

ESR9850 #1 192.168.0.1
ESR9850 #2 192.168.0.2

I do it a different way.

tipstir,
Yes that is how i have it setup:

1st ESR9850 (in AP Router mode):
LAN IP: (under System->LAN) = 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Lease Time: Forever
Start IP: 192.168.0.100
End IP : 192.168.0.200
Domain Name: esr9850
DNS Servers assigned by DHCP Server:
First DNS Server: DNS Relay 192.168.0.1
Second DNS Server: None 0.0.0.0

2nd ESR9850 (in Repeater mode):
LAN IP: (under System->LAN) = 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Ketan

Last edited:
tipstir,

Ketan

Can you download inSSIDer and then install it. Run it for 1 hour and then tell me what the graph shows to your left side of the screen. Does the color jump and then jump down quickly. Flip/Flop action! Does the wireless laptop keep all 5 bars or does it drop down to 3 then quickly go back to 5 bars.

Heck if you don't have issues then the Repeater functions works for you.

My setup image

ESR9850 & Ubuntu = Not So Good!

Folks,

I've been messing around with the ESR9850 now for a day and at first thought it was flaky, tried the second one I got at the same time (expanding wireless in the home) and it too did the same thing.

What it's doing is if you select "repeater" mode from the top right side as opposed to "AP Router" it will NOT let you access it from FireFox! No IP will work, it is as if it has been bricked. Because it says it can not be found! Hook it up to a Windows box, and it shows it as being in "Repeater" mode.

This is not good! As I am trying to wean myself off Windows for good!

Anyone tried it this way and if so what is it I am possibly doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

In Repeater Mode, the ESR9850 will not have DHCP server function.

You will need to set a static IP on your computer eg: 192.168.1.50
so that you can access the ESR9850 Interface.

Folks,

I've been messing around with the ESR9850 now for a day and at first thought it was flaky, tried the second one I got at the same time (expanding wireless in the home) and it too did the same thing.

What it's doing is if you select "repeater" mode from the top right side as opposed to "AP Router" it will NOT let you access it from FireFox! No IP will work, it is as if it has been bricked. Because it says it can not be found! Hook it up to a Windows box, and it shows it as being in "Repeater" mode.

This is not good! As I am trying to wean myself off Windows for good!

Anyone tried it this way and if so what is it I am possibly doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

You have 192.168.0.1 on two devices.
This will cause conflict.

Please change the second ESR9850 (repeater) to 192.168.0.2

tipstir,

Ketan

It sounds like your setup is ok. There could be some interference that is causing the repeaters to disconnect. Or this could be a bug in the ESR9850 repeaters mode.

Tipstir's idea of doing a survey with inSSIDer is good to see possible sources of interference. You can try changing channel and or SSID on the AP 9850.

I would also try an experiment, running continuous traffic (Pandora stream, etc.) to see if it still disconnects.

You have 192.168.0.1 on two devices.
This will cause conflict.

Please change the second ESR9850 (repeater) to 192.168.0.2

oops that was a copy-paste error, i do have the 2nd 9859 to 192.168.0.2, have edited my post...

jemz0r

I think it is Ubuntu and the way it does networking as compared to Windows anyway. What I ended up doing is actually removing the "Reserved/Dedicated/Static IP" I had set for the computer in the ESR9850. It then seemed to work better when switching from AP Router to Repeater mode, in that occasionally the repeater screen would show yet it always showed from the Windows box.

Oh I failed to mention this is all being done with cables plugged into ports - NOT wireless, as neither the Windows or Ubuntu box have wireless.

So I am still leaning to it being Ubuntu and it's implementation of networking.

It was your idea of setting the static IP of the computer that made think of removing it.

In Repeater Mode, the ESR9850 will not have DHCP server function.

You will need to set a static IP on your computer eg: 192.168.1.50
so that you can access the ESR9850 Interface.

So I'm still investigating.

Thanks

Dave

To Repeater mode didn't work out right that's why I had gone with AP mode (hardwired to the device)

Augen GENTOUCH 78 Android v2.1 7" Internet Tablet PC and ESR-9850 works very well I was able to locate my second AP right away and access the internet sites like this one no issues. I can see everything on the 7" TFT 800x400 VIS (visual image size).

Hi - just got this router and doing my setup. Is there anything special that needs to be done to set it up as a AP Only device? I already have a router and only want an access point.

Thanks

EDIT: Finally got it figured out. It's up and running.

Last edited:
Just to let you all know this has be solved here.

HTTP stop HTTP start

I am getting many log errors with my ESR-9850 showing HTTP Stopping, HTTP start and I lose the Web UI as well as browsing. After a few seconds it comes back. It seems to happen mostly around midnight. Any ideas?

I am getting many log errors with my ESR-9850 showing HTTP Stopping, HTTP start and I lose the Web UI as well as browsing. After a few seconds it comes back. It seems to happen mostly around midnight. Any ideas?

Wireless Radio set to ECO? If so disable ECO (power saving)
Are P2P clients running?

Restart the router
Reset the router
Update the firmware to 1.1.2 or better

Just to let you all know this has be solved here.

Trying to get set up as a hardwired AP behind a Dlink DIR-825. I followed the instructions to the T and not having much luck. As a repeater, I only get 42% signal strength in that location which results in slow speeds. Any suggestions on how to get these to play nice together as a hardwired AP? I have GigE throughout my house, but want stronger wireless...

Trying to get set up as a hardwired AP behind a Dlink DIR-825. I followed the instructions to the T and not having much luck. As a repeater, I only get 42% signal strength in that location which results in slow speeds. Any suggestions on how to get these to play nice together as a hardwired AP? I have GigE throughout my house, but want stronger wireless...

You can try bigger antennas on both the DIR825 and the ESR9850 (repeater).

Signal strength is influenced by
1. Distance
2. Physical Obstacles
3. Building Material used in your building (brick, cement, wood, glass, etc)
4. Other 2.4Ghz signals causing interference
5. Orientation of the antenna, are you on different floors of the building?

You can try bigger antennas on both the DIR825 and the ESR9850 (repeater).

Signal strength is influenced by
1. Distance
2. Physical Obstacles
3. Building Material used in your building (brick, cement, wood, glass, etc)
4. Other 2.4Ghz signals causing interference
5. Orientation of the antenna, are you on different floors of the building?

Yep. Distance isn't much of an issue (1000 sq ft per floor of a house). The building materials, I think, don't suit wifi well, though. The signal has always dropped off quickly regardless of router (linksys, netgear, etc). I did recently run cat 5e cabling around my house along with a gigE switch in the basement. So I now have other options, such as using a router as a wired AP to provide much better coverage in/around the house.

Which bigger antennas have you successfully used?

Figured out my problem...turns out to be a very basic one.

a) I read this thread:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=3762

b) I determined that when using the settings suggested by tipstir, do not use the wired AP's WAN uplink port. Plug from the wall goes into one of the router ports.

Working great now. This is with a firmware version 1.1.0 on the engenius router, 1.13NA on the Dlink DIR-825 (HW version A1).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!