What's new

Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you.

FYI, after receiving you note yesterday, I called Gefen to ask if their product would send ethernet properly on the same cable that was being using for TV.

The TS person I spoke with checked and said NO. On further questioning, he said it requires a dedicated cable.

Disappointed but seeking confirmation, I called again this morning and spoke to a different TS person. He asked who the cable provider was (Cox) and whether I also had digital telephone (yes). This person, after then briefly checking something, told me YES, it would coexist. (!!!)

I then repeated the question in different ways to ensure absolute clarity. I was told that the product would definitely work with in-use coax as described above. He had no explanation of why another individual had told me otherwise.

When will these be on sale? Any ETA?

We need one, perfect to send a signal over a now unused Coax from granny unit/garage to house.

Pretty soon--many sites have a product page and sku assigned, and BLT expects a few in on the 12th.

Is BLT a good store? I'm thinking something this new I'd like to get it at a Best Buy or equal where they will have a good return policy.

I haven't purchased anything from BLT, so I can't say. I used them as an example as they, unlike others, listed an ETA on their product page. I don't think waiting for Best Buy is an unwise decision.

MoCA Alternative: Multilet

Hi! I'd had been waiting for years for a product to run ethernet over coax.

I have had luck with a small company: Multilet -- which produces an Ethernet over Coax Balun / wall-outlet. The cool thing is that it plugs right into the wall, giving you a nice ethernet port, and no other hardware. Perfect for a living room setup and scoring high on the WAF (=wife acceptance factor...).

Interestingly, the system also draws power from a distributor (basically, you plug your ethernet source into the distributor, and then it sends the ethernet signal over a cable.)

Also in its favor -- price: the distributor is about $150, and each wall-balun is around $50. A 4 port setup can be had for around $350 -- signficantly less than MoCA.

Downsides -- it can't work with cable TV systems (if you have 2 coax drops in every room, it would be perfect). Also, not sure how well it works over splitters and performance.

Finally, I am also not sure if the company is still making it. Too bad, because it is the perfect solution for me.

FYI -- I bought it from DFS countryman in Minn, MN.

These Moca units are starting to show up at the Fry's Electronics in the Bay Area. Still showing out of stock at Amazon though.

Just Got Mine From Amazon

Just got mine from Amazon, ordered from them in mid-January. Pretty easy to install, although I did have to reset and pull the power from the second unit to get to it work.

Live in a townhouse with the office (were the cable modem is) upstairs and the large screen television downstairs. Wireless "N" was not working for me, so I spoke to an electrician about running an ethernet cable between the office and downstairs. He said that would be very difficult since I did not have access to the exterior of the building.

MOCA seemed like my only option, so I ordered the MCAB 1001. I can say it works great. Have an Intel iMac upstairs, and Mac Mini G4 downstairs. Plugged the ethernet cable directly from the second unit into the Mac Mini. No problem downloading video podcasts and system updates. Thanks to Leopard I can remotely control the Mac Mini from the iMac.

Can't get the configuration utility to see the MCAB from within Fusion, so it looks like I will have to have to borrow a Windows laptop to set the security. Not sure it is really necessary, but I am paranoid when it comes to security.

Still have to try streaming video, and maybe I will run some crude speed tests.

Fios/Westell UltraLine Series3 and MCAB1001

I have verizon fios and their provided Westell UltraLine Series3 (MoCA-enabled) router. Any idea whether the Netgear MCAB1001 kit will work with this router?

The Westell router is used for MoCA for the multiroom DVR, but my assumption is that it already provides Ethernet packets over the coax cabling. Is my assumption correct?

In other words, will I be able to use the 2 MCA1001s that come as part of the MCAB1001-kit to provide 2 cat5 ports or only 1 cat5 port (where 1 of the devices is used to allow the ethernet packets to travel over coax)?

Thanks!

FiOS and MCAB1001

All of the Moca equipment should be able to run together since they are all certified for Moca compliance. If the Fios router is already communicating to the set-top boxes through Moca then you should be able to add bridges to the Moca network ie. get 2 extra ethernet ports from the MCAB1001 kit. The only thing to be mindful of when joining another Moca network is there might be a security password which the cable company can supply to you.

More info here:

http://mocablog.net
http://connectmystuff.org

Fios/Westell UltraLine Series3 and MCAB1001 (FiOS and MCAB1001)

OK thanks - that's what I figured.

I was able to find the MOCA password inside the Fios Westell router's Coax LAN configuration webpage. I ordered the MCAB1001-kit online (buy.com) and expecting it next week.

I'll post how my experience goes getting the MCA1001s added to my small home network. (And if I have any questions or run into issues, I will be sure to ask :) )

I'm the multiple-Macintosh user who posted a question on the first page of this thread. I've been waiting for the D-Link DXN-221 to be released. Now it has, as of late last week. The only problem is that, unlike the Netgear MCAB1001 devices, the DXN-221 HD MediaBridge® Coax Network Starter Kit has only only one coax port on each DXN-220 device. Can I use a proper splitter on a DXN-220 to get the equivalent of two ports?

The reason I want to go with D-Link is an unfortunate experience I had a few years ago when I owned a Netgear router. The router went bad after about 6 months, and I phoned Netgear tech support to get a fix/replacement. I was connected to an Indian script-monkey (no disrespect to Indians in general, and I'm sure this particular fellow was much more intelligent and flexible off the job), who kept repeating "this device must be connected to a Windows PC to diagnose the problem." This was despite my telling him that by then I could fully configure the router using an obsolete version of Mac Internet Explorer (I had taken the router to work and used a Windows machine to start with). When I recently called Netgear pre-sales tech support to ask whether the MCAB1001 could be configured from Firefox (I didn't dare say from a Mac), I again got an Indian fellow.

By contrast, when I phoned D-Link earlier this week to ask whether the DXN-221 could be configured from a Macintosh, I got a flexible American/Canadian. After checking with someone else, he told me that the requirement of Windows XP or Vista is only to run the configuration Wizard. If I am willing to do the configuration manually, a Mac using Firefox should be fine.

For anybody who is wondering why I don't run Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable instead, I live in an apartment where that would be expensive to do in a non-ugly manner. The two rooms I want to connect are across an interior hall from one another, and the ceilings are reinforced concrete above a thin coating of plaster. All apartments in the building were pre-wired with TV coax (under the wood floor), and for 11 years I have been running Ethernet between the two rooms using a 10 Mbps hub with a bayonet coax port on each end.

Now that MoCA makes it possible, I immediately want to increase my Ethernet speed beyond 10 Mbps. However, in order to make the original coax connection part of my LAN, I had to disconnect the coax between the two rooms from the cable TV connection that comes into my living room. I am currently OK with having a TV only in the living room, but I might eventually want to stream HD TV from one of my computers--all of which are in the two other rooms that are part of the LAN.

For what it's worth, the DXN-221 that D-Link demoed on 6 January had two coax ports on each DXN-220 device. I also note that dlinkshop.com is advertising the DXN-221 for almost $50 US less than other sites advertise the MCAB1001. I am hoping that D-Link delayed releasing the DXN-221 kit in order to redesign the DXN-220, making it significantly cheaper by eliminating the second coax port (presumably after having done market research that showed many potential customers didn't need it). Would someone please check this to see if the DXN-221 specs seem otherwise comparable those of the MCAB1001?

Thanks in advance,
David H.

Last edited:
According to a discussion with D-Link at CES, they are not releasing the DXN-221 to retail. Service providers only.

According to a discussion with D-Link at CES, they are not releasing the DXN-221 to retail. Service providers only.

D-Link must have since changed its mind, Tim.

Its retail outlet dlinkshop.com had for a number of weeks listed the DXN-221 as a back-ordered item. I had signed up to get an e-mail notice when it was in stock, and late last week received the notice. There then was a delay of about a day until dlinkshop.com added a description for the product, which curiously enough came slightly before dlink.com listed the DXN-221 as a product on its website. It was then that I phoned D-Link to ask about the Windows requirement.

At no time during this process was I asked if I represented a service provider.

Here's a thought: Maybe D-Link removed the second coax port on the DXN-220 component to make service providers happy, so it could change its mind post-CES and release the DXN-221 retail. Which leads back to the first question in my post above: Would adding a proper splitter be equivalent to adding back the second coax port?

FWIW, dlinkshop.com now lists the DXN-221 as back-ordered again. Sob.

David H.

Last edited:
I used to have a D-Link 802.11 B router that pooped out. Had same problems you had with netgear. And it was someone in south asia also.

Nothing is beyond outsourcing.

I'm checking with D-Link.

You should be able to use a splitter.

Is the D-link MoCA?

I guess part of the MoCA deal is they all work together. So if not MoCA should we have our guard up?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!