What's new

Extend XT8 network with AX1800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PszczolkaB

New Around Here
Hi,

Noob here so sorry if this is obvious but can I extend my XT8 network by connecting an AX1800 router as a node? I just want my wifi to extend to the patio (which actually isn't far from the router so I'm not sure why the signal there is so poor). I have two XT8s (one upstairs and one downstairs) and our house is about 2800sq ft. The line between the patio and the router include a cement wall, which I'm guessing is the problem. I tried a cheap extender (AC1200) and it worked perfectly except that I don't want to have to switch between networks so would prefer to utilize the AIMesh system. In short, just looking for the cheapest option to extend my network a little bit so I can work on the patio (including Zoom/Teams meetings).

Thanks!

I don't want to have to switch between networks

Most extenders have the option to set the repeated SSID the same as parent AP. This way there is no need to switch the networks. Check the User Manual for your extender, may save you money. Wireless "nodes" and "satellites" in home "mesh" systems are in fact extenders, also called repeaters.

Thanks for the reply - do you have any suggestions for which ones? The one I got didn't (unless you had the TP-Link mesh system) and I've been trying to go through descriptions of other extenders but haven't found anything.

All TP-Link extenders I have seen had "Copy Host SSID" option in Wireless settings.

1723675579059.png

Even the cheap ones for $20 have it. Extenders are also called Repeaters for a reason.

That worked, thank you! I don't know why I didn't see the option before...though in the one I have, you just have to rename the network, there is no "copy host" button. Cheers!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!