What's new

Extending Network Range Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Network Freak 2009

Occasional Visitor
I bought a Linksys E Series Router but I still have Dead Spots in my House how can I extend my Wireless Network Range without a Drop in Speed or Preformance?

I have done some reading on these forums and it looks like I have Several options based on the options below which is the easiest to replace when it comes to Upgrading my hardware in the future?

1.An Access Point
2.Third Party Router Firmware
3.A Range Extender

Ok based on what I have read # 3 Is not an Option it since it cuts Network Preformance by 50% will Numbers 1 And 2 do that as well?

Adding an Ethernet connected access point is the only way to extend wireless range without sacrificing speed.

Can I buy an Extra Linksys E3000 Router and Load Third Party Firmware and Use that instead of an Access Point won't that give me more features or can you Load Third Party firmware On Access points as well?

Here is what I see as a Pro And Con when using a Router Or AP

Router (Used As AP)

Pros

Third Party Firmware

Cons

Internal Antennas

Access Point

Pros

External Replaceable Antennas

Cons

Can't Install Third Party Firmware

Adding an Ethernet connected access point is the only way to extend wireless range without sacrificing speed.
Yes, but... using better antennas or placement on one or both ends works if the shortcoming isn't huge. To include using a USB WiFi adapter with a long USB cord and more ideal placement.

I am sorry stevech I do not quite get what you mean by "if the shortcoming isn't huge" can you explain?:confused:
If the signal strength is way too weak (and I can define that) the shortcoming is too great to be cured with better antennas. In this case, you either get cat5 cable nearer to the weak signal area and put in an Access Point (any cheap WiFi router can be faked as an access point), or you resort to a repeater, aka WDS.

Even cat5 in the attic or basement to get an access point nearer is a good thing to consider.

I chose to use a different approach... I use MoCa to get flawless extension wherever in the house there's a TV coax. Far better than WiFi - which I used for a long time, to stream video. WiFi for me is just for modest speed laptops and my Android phone.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!