What's new

Extending wifi range with minimal Or no signal loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhawk22

New Around Here
Hi

I am looking for some advice. I am considering extending my network range and trying to decide on the best option.

My current set up: wireless router on 1st fl. Dual band

Option 1) buy powerline adapter and dual band access point and plug in on 2nd floor

Option 2) buy range extender

Option 3) access point or another router as bridge.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Suggestions

Your ranking of the "best" option is spot on.

I use powerline to extend an access point provide broadband connections to a couple of satellite receivers.

My suggestion is that buy the adapters based on the recommendations on this site then test them as to the stability of the link rate you get. Some or all the adapters include a powerline utility that will allow you to test.

Then before you connect any APs connect a PC to the remote adapter using a Ethernet cable and run some LAN speed tests to confirm powerline provides a reasonably fast connection. Finally stream a video lasting a couple of hours from Netflix or Amazon. This will allow you to see if there are any serious sources of interference that will knock down your powerline connection. I had a garbage disposal that everytime it ran killed my powerline connection.

Do your testing while you still have the option of returning the adapters if this technology doesn't work for you.

Once you are satisfied that your backbone powerline connections work you can add the APs. Just use different non overlapping channels if possible and different SSIDs so users can manually connect to the nearest and hopefully best WiFi signal.

Hi

I am looking for some advice. I am considering extending my network range and trying to decide on the best option.

My current set up: wireless router on 1st fl. Dual band

Option 1) buy powerline adapter and dual band access point and plug in on 2nd floor

Option 2) buy range extender

Option 3) access point or another router as bridge.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

run a cat5 cable from the Primary AP/Router to an AP upstairs...

easy enough answer... alternate approach could be powerline to an upstairs AP.

sfx

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!