What's new

Extremely Slow Satellite Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PsychoGame

New Around Here
Hello Everybody,

I hope that somebody can help me with a question about Satellite internet.
The problem is that our connection on board is very slow, since 31'st of may.
We have contacted our provider Marlink for some solutions, but everything they said was only focused on the satellite receiver and it's settings.
According to them, they took a look into the settings was everything set-up as it should be.
Our network consists out of a satellite dish with receiver.
From the receiver the signal goes to a switch which distributes the internet around the ship.
In our network we have about 7 computers connected tot the switch, and 2 wireless routers which provide wireless internet to the passengers.
Throughout the day there are no passengers onboard of the ship, so there is no use in the wireless side of the network.
Before we had troubles with the internet, sometimes we had internet speeds of about 1.6 MB/s, but at the moment the speed barely comes above 5 kb/s.
Only when using a download manager the download speed can go up to about 40 to 50 kb/s.
We also contacted Marlink about our bandwith usage, but they said the bandwith also wasn't a problem, because we had plenty of bandwith unused.
I hope somebody can give me some clues.

Greetz, PsychoGame

Here i'am again with a little update.
Today I tested if the switch maybe was the problem, by connecting one computer directly to the Satellite modem.
This gave the same results as mentioned above.
But from a colleage I also heard today that in the past our service engineer from marlink removed the Attenuator.
I don't know exactly what it does, but maybe any of you know and can tell me if it can slow the network down.

Greetz,

PsychoGame

A Attenuator is use to change the dB level of a sig, make it less so that it doesn't over drive the input. Atleast that is what we in comm use it for.

Here i'am again with a little update.
Today I tested if the switch maybe was the problem, by connecting one computer directly to the Satellite modem.
This gave the same results as mentioned above.
But from a colleage I also heard today that in the past our service engineer from marlink removed the Attenuator.
I don't know exactly what it does, but maybe any of you know and can tell me if it can slow the network down.

Greetz,

PsychoGame

Attenuator in the coax to the antenna would be used only if the signal strength to or from the satellite is to high. If you've changed nothing, it shouldn't need changing.

I'd press the service provider to come fix it.