What's new

Fastest stable 802.11n bridge setup HT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
I'm currently using a Trendnet TEW-633GR in my home office connected to cable Internet. This unit does 2.4ghz 802.11n. It is similar to a dlink 655.

I have a home theatre setup downstairs in my den about 25 feet away. I have an HTPC and PS3 in my den. I was using an SMC webN device as a wireless client In the den. I was getting about 30mbs throughput using iperf.

About a year ago, I got a Linksys WET610N. I tried this in place of the SMC device and got throughput of 80mbs with iperf. So I got rid of the SMC device. It seemed like everything was great, except I find a dirty little secret (known issue) with the Linksys wet610n. It does something to packets so that printing to an HP printer upstairs doesn't work.

So now i'm looking around for a different solution. I'd like to just replace the bridge with something else, but I'm willing to replace my router and bridge. I don't need dual band as my other wireless traffic is minimal. I just waNt the fastest/most consistent throughput between these two locations.

Anyone have any suggestions for a bridge, Or bridge and router combo? I was thinking those 3 stream devices from Trendnet or Dlink might work, but after see the reviews I'm not so sure. Also I don't know if there are any 3 stream bridges available. Anyone know if these routers can be used as a bridge and what the throughput might be like?

Anyone try the Netgear WnCE 2001?

Hmmm.. Went to the netgear site and they are promoting the Powerline AV 500. Maybe I should wait for that? Sheesh...

Leave three stream alone for now. There aren't any three stream bridges anyway.

I'd give HomePlug AV a shot. The technology has improved a lot (HomePlug AV Adapter Roundup). Powerline AV 500 still isn't shipping yet.

Yeah.. I'm really hopeful the AV 500 will ship soon. Even if it only got 100MB/S it would be worth it for me.

I just read on another site that the AV 500 stuff is supposed to release Oct. 1. I hope that's true. I called Netgear and the CSR didn't know anything.

I emailed them and haven't heard anything either.

I just read on another site that the AV 500 stuff is supposed to release Oct. 1. I hope that's true. I called Netgear and the CSR didn't know anything.

I emailed them and haven't heard anything either.

Hoping so here as well so I can get rid of my incredibly buggy Hawking extender.

re: the Netgear release date, had a couple of less than enlightening exchanges with their email support:

Me - do you have a firm release date yet for AV 500?
NG Support - none planned, the AV 500 does not need firmware.

Me - I think you misunderstood, when will it be available for sale?
NG Suport - After reviewing the information that you provided, I think I have a better understanding of your issue. According to our website, it will be release on the third quarter this year. So I believe it was already out in the market since where on the last week of the third quarter.

oh well...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!