What's new

FIOS and Netgear WNDR3700 Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dschiri1

New Around Here
I tried to upgrade my dlink 2310 router to a netgear WNDR 3700. The 3700 couldn't get the WAN IP address or the DNS address from verizon Fios. It was really strange. It kept stating that the address was static. But it is not. FIOS uses dynamic address. Checked my old router, it was set up as dynamic. I believed had a bad unit and got another one. Same problem occured. Called netgear tech support. Note: They have some of the dumbest and nontechs answering their phones. After he read all his screen prompts. His answer was take it back and get something else. Way to support your product. At least he was honest in the regards that I wouldn't be getting a real answer.

But here is the kicker if I plugged the 3700 wan port into one of the dlink ethernet ports it was able to get an ip address and I was able to get to the internet.

This is the first time that Fios didn't play nice with a router. I have had about 4 or 5 routers through the years. I would like to use the 3700. Anybody have any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Could be that it was failing to auto negotiate Ethernet Link speed and mode due to some incompatibility between the FIoS box Ethernet port and the WNDR3700 WAN port.

Maybe the FiOS CPE(modem) is just like any old cable modem, the modem registers the first device connected using it's MAC address, FiOS CPEs and VoIP cable modems have a battery backup. So you can't just unplug/replug(reboot) to make it learn a new devices MAC, you have to either clone the MAC of the previous device used or login to the modem and instruct a reboot or look for and press the reset button on the modem.

Does it work to hook your PC directly to the FiOS CPE, but not the Netgear? Your PC may have the correct MAC address, had the installer setup the CPE then cloned it's address into the Dlink router, so if it does work just login to the Netgear and choose use this computers MAC under internet settings. You might not be so lucky, will need to either look on the bottom of the Dlink for it's MAC address and enter it into the Netgear or login to the Dlink to find the MAC address being used (if cloned).

Last edited:
I finally gave up and returned it

I finally gave up and returned it. In answer to some of the suggestion given. With the FIOS I was able to plug any computer or router in and they would work correctly. This is the first router that I had a problem with. I tried everything from MAC cloning to importing the dynamic address from my other router as a static address. (FIOS usually changes about once a month).

Netgear was totally useless, I had no faith in their ability to solve the problem. It was just easier to return it a buy something else.

Netgear was totally useless, I had no faith in their ability to solve the problem. It was just easier to return it a buy something else.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, your solution is sometimes the best way to go. No sense pounding your head against a wall.

Just found out they do know about this problem

Just found that they do know about this problem in firmware *****55. I can;t believe that their tech support didn't know about it. It seams that if 3700 can't find an IP address in dynamic it its just better to return it. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

I tried to upgrade my dlink 2310 router to a netgear WNDR 3700. The 3700 couldn't get the WAN IP address or the DNS address from verizon Fios. It was really strange. It kept stating that the address was static. But it is not. FIOS uses dynamic address. Checked my old router, it was set up as dynamic. I believed had a bad unit and got another one. Same problem occured. Called netgear tech support. Note: They have some of the dumbest and nontechs answering their phones. After he read all his screen prompts. His answer was take it back and get something else. Way to support your product. At least he was honest in the regards that I wouldn't be getting a real answer.

But here is the kicker if I plugged the 3700 wan port into one of the dlink ethernet ports it was able to get an ip address and I was able to get to the internet.

This is the first time that Fios didn't play nice with a router. I have had about 4 or 5 routers through the years. I would like to use the 3700. Anybody have any ideas on what is causing the problem?
I have been using a Netgear WNDR3700 since September 2009. However, I have had a DHCP issue with all my routers Actiontec(Verizon), Apple, and Netgear. It sounds like the issue is Verizon. With ethernet ONT takes something like 45 minutes to release the current MAC connection from Verizon. You can call Verizon tech support to release the MAC fast. However, I believe if you use the Verizon router the MAC can be cloned in the routers web GUI. I never tried it but, it might be the way to go. Actiontec had much better connection up time than my other routers. About every few months, I have needed to reboot both Apple and Netgear routers. Actiontec was slower but more stable with Verizon network plus Verizon tools. However, I gone with having full gigabit in my home but, also an option is bridge the Verizon router. If not having to reboot the router is more important to you. Bottom line my Netgear has worked fine and all my DHCP issues have related to Verizon releasing MAC.