What's new

Firmware 380.59 Client list problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guitargeek

Occasional Visitor
I just installed the latest Merlin firmware for AC3200 and when I go and click on "View List' under the Network Map section, it works for a few minutes before it stops listing the Clients.

Now it shows the number of Clients next to Clients: and if I click on The computer monitor Icon above Clients it shows Client Statues to the right under Online

But clicking on "View List" after a few minutes results in The All section not showing one Client even when there are several connected and if I click on By Interface that only shows "Wired" connections.

The previous Merlin Firmware I had installed did not have this issue, I tried different broswrs like Chrome and Internet Explorer, same result. I used Windows 10 and Windows 7 Machines with no change.

Here are a few files to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

• View List.jpg
    View List.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 661
  • View List 2.jpg
    View List 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 812
  • View List 3.jpg
    View List 3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 893
  • View List 4.jpg
    View List 4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
Update:

I did a nvram reset and then powered down and back up. Put in all my settings manually and now it works like it should.

Update:

I did a nvram reset and then powered down and back up. Put in all my settings manually and now it works like it should.

That would have been my recommendation (didn't have time to respond though). Glad you figured it out by yourself.

I get this issue too it only seem go blank/no populate when my ps3 connects, wired/wireless make no diffrence the client status lists the all the connected clients when this happens including the ps3 but the ps3 is also not editable like all the other clients. PS3 also get listed as "new device" even if DHCP on ps3 name is PS3 and even if the manual IP address PS3 is named PS3 and when I click edit it show name as "new device" and when I edit to say ps3 the edit dont take.

PS3 connected is time I See this happen no other devices cause this and as far as i know older fw didnt have this issue, Shortly after ps3 is turned off or I disable it internet connection Client list start to populate again.

I did factory reset the router and just left my wired devices, wired devices all showed in client list and client status, soon as started up ps3 soon as it connected client list went blank, client status show all connections and ps3 is entry is un editable not sure it ps3 thing or just random bug that choose the ps3 as the cause.

Not sure if merlin is aware of it or not, but i did report it in the 380.59 thread, It dont bother me, as I normal am never in router UI unless i need to be, hell I probably wouldnt even know about this issue if it wasnt for the fact I disable QOS to random test wired speed on ps3 and I happened to have the client list page open at the time which when i saw it go blank.other then that 380.59 works great.

Last edited:
I get this issue too it only seem go blank/no populate when my ps3 connects

That's a scenario I'd be able to test, I got a PS3 gathering dust.

Plugged the PS3 back, and tested it - no issue with my client list.

I don't have a ps3 here or I would test as well. I do know that when I reset using the button on the back and even in the UI it still did not fix it. I had to Telnet in and clear the nvram that way. So far I am loving the firmware, seems my 5ghz is a bit more stable on the Ac3200 which is nice:)

I have the same issue with my AC5300. Is there a chance to get the list back without nvram reset. I don't want to enter all the settings again

That's a scenario I'd be able to test, I got a PS3 gathering dust.

Then its random issue happen seeing other are seeing this happen too, it just picked the ps3 on my end as mean of me reproducing it, as I went back to previous 358.57 and when ps3 connect client list still populates, the name is list as PS3 as per my manual IP assignment name.

But 380.59 PS3 connect Client list stop populating Client statues list it but lists it as new device and it not clickable to edit its info, and the Manual IP assignment page lists it as "new device" "mac addy" "ip" "ps3" you can click edit on this page but none of changes actual save even if delete entry and start over and put PS3 as it name it just save it has " new device". and setting DHCP host name on PS3 to PS3 does not make the router pick it name up as PS3 it still see new device. shortly after I turn PS3 off it start working, and my PS3 is using same setting on it end I been using for last 5+ years.

Already tried different ports on router different cables even tried threw wifi. I only have my Slim PS3 cech-2051b model, IF i still had me 80gb MGS4 edition PS3 I would test it with that to, but that broke long time ago. i just reporting what i see happen on my end if there is log sorts I can get off the router when PS3 connects and this happens, threw putty some other means that I can actually do tell me and I will forward you that log. this might be one those thing you were talking about you fix something asus fix some but some other random issue pops up, sorry if my explains is confusing I and bad at explain things.

Code:
May 17 14:25:16 dnsmasq-dhcp[4699]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.4 fc:0f:e6:70:da:dc PS3

this only thing I see in log and log show it name as PS3 Client status and IP manual assignment both show it name as new device.

I have since gone back to 350.59 re entered everything manually again, and it still only happens on my end when my ps3 connects. .

This none issue too me it just I have OCD and i need to know why it happening and how to fix thing, you dont even want to know how often threw out the day I check event viewer in windows to see error that try to fix... OCD is crappy mistress

Last edited:
As I've been saying, I have no idea what is causing it, and I'm unable to reproduce the problem.

The logfile won't contain any information as to what is happening, it's a bug somewhere in the code. Since there's thousands of changes between each new GPL from Asus, it's also impossible for me to pinpoint a single change that might be causing it.

It also happened with the original Asus FW 1355 for the 5300. I always performed a factory reset to fix it.
At least I know now, how I get the list back without reset and config the router.

the only thing I noticed was, that in the client Status page, when I pressed on the PS4 device, the window to make some changes did not open. I blocked with the Asus iPhone app the internet connection for the PS4. After that, I had access again to the ps4 status and removed the MAC and IP address Binding. changed the name of the ps4, and unblocked internet connection for the ps4.
the list is now populating again

It also happened with the original Asus FW 1355 for the 5300. I always performed a factory reset to fix it.
At least I know now, how I get the list back without reset and config the router.

you know what know i really am confused, after reading I said what the hell let me factory reset router again i mean i did enough in past few days, and Manual set everything up again and client list is work correctly even with ps3 connect and every thing editable... if I do johns back untop of this client list bugs out again and ps3 can be eddited.. Factory reset router again wait till ui is done with this, an reset everything manual again, and the client list remains working with everything connect and correct names and everything editable,

Cause atm I cant repro this... this why i dont like trouble shooting thing just when think you fiqure it it start acting diffrently

@john9527 could it have anything to do with the fact Last Backup I have was on when I was on 380.57 with is v24 , and do a restore and when it ask if i wan do clean reset I say no cause I do updates fw I do factory reset hell I do factor reset before restore any before I do any restore threw nvram

you know what know i really am confused, after reading I said what the hell let me factory reset router again i mean i did enough in past few days, and Manual set everything up again and client list is work correctly even with ps3 connect and every thing editable... if I do johns back untop of this client list bugs out again and ps3 can be eddited.. Factory reset router again wait till ui is done with this, an reset everything manual again, and the client list remains working with everything connect and correct names and everything editable,

Cause atm I cant repro this... this why i dont like trouble shooting thing just when think you fiqure it it start acting diffrently

@john9527 could it have anything to do with the fact Last Backup I have was on when I was on 380.57 with is v24 , and do a restore and when it ask if i wan do clean reset I say no cause I do updates fw I do factory reset hell I do factor reset before restore any before I do any restore threw nvram

If the list is not populated, can you press on the ps4 icon on the client status page?

If the list is not populated, can you press on the ps4 icon on the client status page?

Everything on my end is populating again After I factory defaulted the FW and reset all my setting again, but now you seeing the issue I was seeing on my ps3 not be able to be click able on the client status page.

I am thinking Asus fudged this up some how, or its the nvram restore causing I dont know anymore , cause I getting different results which infuriating and most likely even more infuriating to people trying to debug/fix it as just check PS4 in rest mode with network connection client list still populates and client status page i can click and edit the ps4 info

I have since made do backup of my setting using nvram v24 using 380.59 fw, I will see what happens when I restore from that after factory reset on later date, I cant been messing with all when people are home

Last edited:
The issue with section "View List' under the Network Map is caused by a defective list in "custom_clientlist".
Please enable ssh and reset the nvram parameter custom_clientlist:

nvram set custom_clientlist=
nvram commit

that would explain why factory reset and re entry of all this worked, it dont explain why it didnt work other times I factory reset and didnt use nvram backup, then again my last nvram back came from 380.57, I have since made new NVRAM backup with V24 off of 350.59

it has to other wise after Factory default, my client list would be there exactly how it was before the factor default which it is not cause none of the set I used or names or IP i set are there in router after the factory defualt

I then Factory Default again and this time it working correct and the client list isnt disappearing

Last edited: