What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.4.3 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Version 1.4.3 Released 18-Jun-2024

This is a minor release to help FlexQoS stay alive a little bit longer as its usefulness and compatibility continue to decline in the face of progress.
  • CHANGED: Use external CDN to load chart.min.js v2.9.4 instead of Merlin version, as 388 and 102 branches will be different than anyone still rocking a 386 router.
  • REMOVED: No longer allow switching between develop and stable branches. No need anymore.
It seems the latest Trend Micro signatures (2.408) have rendered the Adaptive QoS classification functions rather useless (most traffic only classified as HTTP, HTTPS or Untracked), so many AppDB rules will never see any traffic. Hopefully this is a temporary "flaw" with the signatures.

Last edited:
Trend Micro signatures fixed by version 2.410 (06/21 at 2 AM). Classifications seem to be correct now.

Love FlexQoS - made remote desktop and VoIP pleasant to use. What would be the natural replacement?

What would be the natural replacement?
Plain Adaptive QoS is the only alternative if you need QoS for higher bandwidth links. Otherwise, I would choose CAKE and live happily never after.

I’m running Adaptive QoS on stock at the moment, as I repurpose my x86 router for its next OS. It’s not as awful as it used to be, but still some glaring problems that FlexQoS still solves:
  1. HTTPS (SSL) traffic still defaults to the Network category (HTTP Protocol over TLS SSL, SSL/TLS, etc.)
  2. Untracked traffic falls into the Work from Home category.
This clogs up two latency sensitive priority levels.

Is FlexQoS 1.4.3 a better choice for Frontier 2G Fiber over Plain Adaptive QoS; with a network of 60+ devices and a family of gamers and 4K streamers? I run the RT-AX86U without active WiFi and use the Orbi RBR850 with 2 satellites as my mesh network.

Last edited:
Is FlexQoS 1.4.3 a better choice for Frontier 2G Fiber over Plain Adaptive QoS; with a network of 60+ devices and a family of gamers and 4K streamers? I run the RT-AX86U without active WiFi and use the Orbi RBR850 with 2 satellites as my mesh network.
Is that 2 Gb symmetrical? I wouldn’t bother with QoS in that case. Longer term, I would think about an x86 platform where you can at least run fq_codel as the default qdisc instead of Asus’ pfifo. Ensure a little fairness for sparse traffic with fq_codel without trying to shape the bandwidth.

Is that 2 Gb symmetrical? I wouldn’t bother with QoS in that case. Longer term, I would think about an x86 platform where you can at least run fq_codel as the default qdisc instead of Asus’ pfifo. Ensure a little fairness for sparse traffic with fq_codel without trying to shape the bandwidth.
It is symmetrical fiber. I'm a big fan of FlexQoS. It sounds like I'll have to do some testing this week when everyone is online.

I might try the eero Max 7 until Asus puts something out with dual 2.5GbE...
Asus has multiple routers that have dual 2.5 Gbps (or higher) ports: GT-AX6000, RT-AX88U Pro, GT-AXE16000, GT-BE98 Pro, and others that I have forgotten!

I might try the eero Max 7 until Asus puts something out with dual 2.5GbE...

Even then going over Gigabit on Wi-Fi is unlikely or not needed (phones/tablets) and you have to have wired devices with 2.5GbE ports. If you really need and want to use this 2Gbps ISP plan it will cost you more money than just for a new router. Right now you are paying for speed test numbers.

Even then going over Gigabit on Wi-Fi is unlikely or not needed (phones/tablets) and you have to have wired devices with 2.5GbE ports. If you really need and want to use this 2Gbps ISP plan it will cost you more money than just for a new router. Right now you are paying for speed test numbers.
I'm at 2.5Gb because we use it for many things. 2.5Gb symmetrical supports my family, the love to stream 4K video, game online, security cameras, video conferencing, and the feeding of my 16TB NAS for photo backup, security camera footage, internal data transfers, etc...at the same time. I'm glad school has started back up, and things have slowed down a bit. For me, at $90/mo, it's money well spent. I prefer my home network to be "invisible" and just work.

Last edited:
I'm at 2.5Gb because we use it for many things. 2.5Gb symmetrical supports my family, the love to stream 4K video, game online, security cameras, video conferencing, and the feeding of my 16Gb NAS for photo backup, security camera footage, internal data transfers, etc...at the same time. I'm glad school has started back up, and things have slowed down a bit. For me, at $90/mo, it's money well spent. I prefer my home network to be "invisible" and just work.
I hope your NAS is 16 TB as opposed to 16 Gb! 😉

A lot of what you mention is internal to your LAN, not affecting WAN traffic. It is probable that 1 Gbps symmetrical or less would serve your needs at a lower cost.

2.5Gb symmetrical supports my family

From the usage you describe - your family will never notice if you change your plan to Gigabit or even less. Your current plan reaches the router and everything else is limited to Gigabit or less. In some rare cases you may exceed Gigabit with aggregate traffic. Look at your Traffic Monitor for the last 24h, WAN connection. It will show you what you really need.

I hope your NAS is 16 TB as opposed to 16 Gb! 😉

A lot of what you mention is internal to your LAN, not affecting WAN traffic. It is probable that 1 Gbps symmetrical or less would serve your needs at a lower cost.
Fixed.

All I know is I went from hearing complaints and me "fixing" slow internet at 1Gb to no complaints and being able to run my Plex server and use Tivimate as a DVR, and...anyways... I went from 125/mo for FiOS 1GB to 90/mo for 2Gb. Now 1Gb is 65/mo. I'm ok with "wasting" extra bandwidth. :cool:

Fixed.

All I know is I went from hearing complaints and me "fixing" slow internet at 1Gb to no complaints and being able to run my Plex server and use Tivimate as a DVR, and...anyways... I went from 125/mo for FiOS 1GB to 90/mo for 2Gb. Now 1Gb is 65/mo. I'm ok with "wasting" extra bandwidth. :cool:
Were both output of modem and WAN port of router 2.5 Gbps when you had FiOS 1 Gbps? The reason that I ask is that I would only see about 600-700 Mbps when I first upgraded to 1 Gbps down/35 Mbps up using 1 Gbps router. Now I routinely see about 1.1 Gbps down/40 Mbps up after upgrading to 2.5 Gbps modem to router connection.

BTW, the majority of my internal LAN has been upgraded to 2.5 or 10 Gbps, including 5 Gbps USB NICs for two (2) NASs -- this makes a HUGE difference for LAN performance.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!