What's new

Forgo high-end router totally and just go with APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

well not everyone has the skill to use a configurable router. Ive seen those multi terabit cisco routers that tier 1 and 2 ISP uses so when i first saw the cisco rv series i was very shocked to see cisco building a consumer router instead of using linksys only and that it had many complaints about it.
Cisco just bought that Linksys division. They didn't add any real 'Cisco' to it. And the rv-series was the first stable multi-wan router out there--I know. I bought all 3 available for <$1000 back in 2004 and tested them all out on two 6M/256K cable modems. Nothing was as stable or easy to config as the rv series.

The power of the Mikrotik and pfsense, monowall, etc products is their infinite configurability. But the downside is that if something isn't working, you don't even really have a number to call or a super-large user base to find peer answers for a problem.

well in that time cisco made really good products for the smaller businesses, but just looking at the cisco rv now i dont know. I also heard that there are many counterfeit cisco products (routers that look just like cisco running cisco IOS but with hardware cut backs). Ofcourse these counterfeit sellers would just sell it near the price of the genuine thing. That means that there could be fake cisco rv out there so i guess the complaints for the cisco rv may not be justified but than nowadays its really hard to check if it is genuine.

well in that time cisco made really good products for the smaller businesses, but just looking at the cisco rv now i dont know. I also heard that there are many counterfeit cisco products (routers that look just like cisco running cisco IOS but with hardware cut backs). Ofcourse these counterfeit sellers would just sell it near the price of the genuine thing. That means that there could be fake cisco rv out there so i guess the complaints for the cisco rv may not be justified but than nowadays its really hard to check if it is genuine.
The idea of multi-wan back when the rv series came out was close to unheard of. But now, it's commonplace. And that means that these products are selling a lot more than they used to. So the complaints we hear about are more, simply because more people run into more issues due to the widespread use.

Easy way to check a counterfit is to call for warranty service. :D

I submit that it's easy to avoid counterfeit Cisco and other gear by using long-lived distributors and don't try to scrimp with a deal on eBay or Amazon, esp. for professional work.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!