What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I flashed to v17e8 from Merlin 374-43-2 and the problem I am having is that under my 5ghz wifi I only see Auto, N, and Legacy. I lost my N+AC option. I did do a factory reset after flashing and still same issue. No AC available under 5ghz wifi mode. Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Using the auto settings I get slow wifi speeds ( 60 Mbps ) vs ( 180Mbps ) using Merlin fw
Did you actually try 'auto' on the fork? I have no problems getting full speeds on auto. In any event, definitely not on my priority list to revisit this.

I am using an RT-N16. I had Merlin 378.50 installed on it.

I decided to try out the 17E8 Fork and the first thing I noticed was was the wireless signal strength. With merlin I was getting a signal strength of around -55dbm using wifi analyzer on my phone. With 17E8 i was getting a way stronger signal, around -45dbm.

Since the RT-N16 has no TX power slide adjustment, I just wanted to know what the tx power level is for this router using 17E8?

Reactions: il2
Hi all. I installed today V17E8 and my router comes online for about 10 sec's / 30 sec? and then i can only ping it nothing more. Connect to it / ssh to it nothing works.

Right now i'm in rescue mode and pushing 16E? to it... hope that works.. but maybe someone can explain me why this happend. I always update the modem every month when theres a new firmware here. But this one goes bad on me.

I cannot reply to you because i have to catch a flight today but i can scroll back when i'm back and trying to update again with 17E8.

Thx for your reply's :)

Regards,

Tim

I decided to try out the 17E8 Fork and the first thing I noticed was was the wireless signal strength. With merlin I was getting a signal strength of around -55dbm using wifi analyzer on my phone. With 17E8 i was getting a way stronger signal, around -45dbm.

Since the RT-N16 has no TX power slide adjustment, I just wanted to know what the tx power level is for this router using 17E8?

If you wipped the router before flashing, TX power should be default which I think is 80mW. You can use nvram get to see the current value:

Code:
nvram get wl_txpower
nvram get wl0_txpower
nvram get wl1_txpower

Well i use the Bandwith Limiter at the moment to thottle my PS4 Up and Down speeds to stop the dreaded Lag Comp so does your FW have this function or something similar ?

can you expand on this? Is there any proof that this actually helps ps4 PSN speeds?

If you wipped the router before flashing, TX power should be default which I think is 80mW. You can use nvram get to see the current value:

Code:
nvram get wl_txpower
nvram get wl0_txpower
nvram get wl1_txpower

Thank you. I did as you said and found out it was set to 70.

can you expand on this? Is there any proof that this actually helps ps4 PSN speeds?
I can only say from my experience which is it does, try upload of 512kbps and 3mbps download also put the console in your routers DMZ and reserve a ip for said console,

What does the setting "Default message log level" do?

What does the setting "Default message log level" do?

Asuswrt always hardcoded all default firmware messages with a DEBUG level of priority, which means it was constantly cluttering the log for people using a remote syslog server. This define what priority level is used when generating those firmware log entries, to make it easier to filter.

This does not apply to services such as dnsmasq or miniupnpd which properly use the correct logging priority depending on what they are logging.

This define what priority level is used when generating those firmware log entries, to make it easier to filter.

This does not apply to services such as dnsmasq or miniupnpd which properly use the correct logging priority depending on what they are logging.
Thanks as always to Merlin for jumping in :)

@RocketJSquirrel BTW...If you want to see what the priority levels are for the various log entries, go down a couple of options and set "Smaller log output" to No. This will add the router name and priority level to each entry in the syslog.

I can't understand why there would be a 10dBm improvement. For the N16 I'd expect things to be within a couple of dBm. Are you sure you are making the comparison measuring from the same location?

Also, from a previous post, if you have values for 'txpower', that means you didn't do a factory reset when moving from the Merlin 378 code. This code uses 'TxPower' (note the case difference) for the power level and is a number in mW, vs the 378 'txpower' which is a percentage value.

I can't understand why there would be a 10dBm improvement. For the N16 I'd expect things to be within a couple of dBm. Are you sure you are making the comparison measuring from the same location?

Also, from a previous post, if you have values for 'txpower', that means you didn't do a factory reset when moving from the Merlin 378 code. This code uses 'TxPower' (note the case difference) for the power level and is a number in mW, vs the 378 'txpower' which is a percentage value.

I only use wifi on my phone when I am casting directly from the phone to the tv screen so I did take the measurements from the same location.

Also, when i went from merlin 378.50 to 17E I did not do a factory reset. What should I do at this point? Everything was working fine when I did the switch. This is why I didn't bother doing a factory reset. If I do a factory reset and check the tx power using SSH, what number should I see?

I only use wifi on my phone when I am casting directly from the phone to the tv screen so I did take the measurements from the same location.

Also, when i went from merlin 378.50 to 17E I did not do a factory reset. What should I do at this point? Everything was working fine when I did the switch. This is why I didn't bother doing a factory reset. If I do a factory reset and check the tx power using SSH, what number should I see?

Just do a Factory Reset and see what happens. If things are still sub-par, then we have something to be concerned about, but without the standard reset, too many anomalies are possible.

Factory Reset is the most common thing to try with these devices.

I decided to test out the QOS bandwidth limiter, as I've been waiting for that feature for a long time.

I still have the problem with QOS in general, that is when I turn it on, I lose about 20Mb/s download speed straight off.

But one thing I noticed with the bandwidth limiter, is that the download speed it capped, but the upload speed still remains uncapped.

I tried applying the upload limit with 2 different clients, both Ethernet and WiFi.

Thank you. I did as you said and found out it was set to 70.

I checked my level with TxPower, and I got a value of 80, which I guess is in mW

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I am currently running an RT-AC66U with Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-01j9527.

Can I take this latest fork release and simply update right over this version without any heavy duty backups, resets etc etc?

If so - will the update retain my current settings - which are very stock in nature?

Just trying to formulate a plan before doing anything to ensure I do not have to spend the entire weekend reconfiguring the router :)

Appreciate any info from the field.

Cheers!

Sonic.