What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

upgraded mu RT-AC66U to 22E3

i do not see any new queuing disipline rules choices available in the user interface, only the new statistics screen

also when you make a backup of the nvram this name is choosen "Settings_RT-AC66U-27E8_374.43_2.CFG"
it does not reflect the current firmware version
what is 27-E8

thanks

upgraded mu RT-AC66U to 22E3

i do not see any new queuing disipline rules choices available in the user interface, only the new statistics screen
The new disciplines are only available on the ARM based routers (AC56, AC68). The MIPS kernel is too old to support them.

also when you make a backup of the nvram this name is choosen "Settings_RT-AC66U-27E8_374.43_2.CFG"
it does not reflect the current firmware version
what is 27-E8
That's the last two bytes of your router MAC address, in case you are saving the configs for multiple routers.

Thanks

just my bad luck that thoose 2 digits look exactly like the fork revision version(because of the E)

The new disciplines are only available on the ARM based routers (AC56, AC68). The MIPS kernel is too old to support them.

That's the last two bytes of your router MAC address, in case you are saving the configs for multiple routers.

John I noticed there's only one opendns server in the list for dnscrypt (the second one is with family filter which is again singular)... is this by design? Shouldn't there be a fallback server?

Secondly, if there are dns servers filled in in the 'connect to dns automatically' (set to no) boxes and dnscrypt and dnssec are enabled, with dnscrypt servers selected from the dropdown, which dns servers would the router connect to?

EDIT: Furthermore, I have set dnscrypt server 1 to opendns, dnssec enabled, but this https://dnssec.vs.uni-due.de/ site tells me it's not enabled.

John I noticed there's only one opendns server in the list for dnscrypt (the second one is with family filter which is again singular)... is this by design? Shouldn't there be a fallback server?
I don't make the list, only get the one maintained by DNSCrypt :) But speculating, OpenDNS is probably big enough to provide their own redundancy/load balancing in a server farm.

Secondly, if there are dns servers filled in in the 'connect to dns automatically' (set to no) boxes and dnscrypt and dnssec are enabled, with dnscrypt servers selected from the dropdown, which dns servers would the router connect to?
Once you enable DNSCrypt,the DNSCrypt servers take over.

EDIT: Furthermore, I have set dnscrypt server 1 to opendns, dnssec enabled, but this https://dnssec.vs.uni-due.de/ site tells me it's not enabled.
OpenDNS does not support DNSSEC. Only those DNSCrypt servers marked with 'w/DNSSEC' will also support DNSSEC.

Hi John
results of entering which curl. no other curl is installed as far as I know.

/usr/sbin/curl

curl version:

asus-config@ASUS:/tmp/home/root# curl -V
curl 7.21.7 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.7
Protocols: file ftp http imap pop3 rtsp smtp tftp

Features: IPv6 Largefile
Found the problem.....a backported change to the curl make apparently broke the MIPS build, but still worked on ARM. Will pick up the fix in the next release.

Thanks for reporting!

Last edited:
I don't make the list, only get the one maintained by DNSCrypt :) But speculating, OpenDNS is probably big enough to provide their own redundancy/load balancing in a server farm.

Once you enable DNSCrypt,the DNSCrypt servers take over.

OpenDNS does not support DNSSEC. Only those DNSCrypt servers marked with 'w/DNSSEC' will also support DNSSEC.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Btw I have noticed some bugginess in bringing up wan (or wan up detection) whenever i hit apply after making changes to dns config. Now i do not know if this behavior is restricted to the n66u or my wan type (dhcp) or if this has been reported before but below are my observations:

If I enable dnscrypt, set resolver 1 to opendns and hit apply, the percentage increase in 1-2% increments suggesting a soft reboot but wifi stays stable which suggests otherwise. After it is done my logs page indicates wan is down but i could access internet just fine currently. However, opendns welcome page said I am not using their services (after i have also flushed dns cache). This was fixed after a soft reboot of the router. Basically changing any dns related setting gets me that wan is down report even if not necessarily down.

Unfortunately, nothing shows up that is really out of place....just suffering from feature creep. The good news, is that you are still probably OK since you don't have to worry about the OpenVPN keys (which need at least about 3.5K free to manipulate).

The big hitter for you is the ssh keys.....let me think on that one a bit.

Hmmm, my RT-N66U gives me:

Internal Storage
NVRAM usage 52633 / 65536 bytes (80% utilized)
JFFS 0.63 / 13.50 MB

Hi @john9527. Quick question: Shouldn't dnsmasq be restarted whenever you enable/disable DNSCrypt, since the proxy server is in dnsmasq.conf?

S
--

Question regarding QOS on V22E3

i have made a rule which gives all the traffic from the PS4 the highest priority
sort of the default QOS rules

can somebody explain how to read upload and download statistics.
Yes i know what upload/download means but i want to know from which point a view

if you look at the QOS statistics it seems there is a lot more upload than download
if you look at the traffic monitor it looks the other way around.

these screenshots were taken while my son was playing online games on his PS4

so my question for wired
is incoming packets from the wired network DOWNLOAD(from the internet wan to the wired lan)
or is it UPLOAD(from the PS4 wired tot the asus switch wired)

second question.
is this the correct way to prioritize the ps4 while still have some decent speeds on my pc?

qos1.jpg

qos2.jpg

qos3.jpg

so my question for wired
is incoming packets from the wired network DOWNLOAD(from the internet wan to the wired lan)
or is it UPLOAD(from the PS4 wired tot the asus switch wired)
For "Wired", "Outgoing packets to wired network" means outgoing from the router to wired LAN clients.

Thanks Colin,

just changed everything accoording to your rule settings.
set the ps4 pro to any instead of tcp/udp because i am not sure how it communicated to the ps network

the whole idea is to avoid lagging on the ps4 pro( which is the case when my son is playing and i am downloading large files)

Hi @john9527. Quick question: Shouldn't dnsmasq be restarted whenever you enable/disable DNSCrypt, since the proxy server is in dnsmasq.conf?

S
--
Yes.....it is. Run some tests and look at the system log. But it's not obvious how I do it :) (Since I know you like to look at the code, if you are looking at start_dnscrypt and stop_dnscrypt functions you won't find it there).

set the ps4 pro to any instead of tcp/udp because i am not sure how it communicated to the ps network
Good catch. "any" should include ICMP which might be used by the PS4 to determine latency of game servers.

the whole idea is to avoid lagging on the ps4 pro( which is the case when my son is playing and i am downloading large files)
Yes, that's sort of the opposite to why I set up those rules. :D In my case it was the PS4 that was doing the heavy downloading and interfering with Netflix streaming on the TV.

Theoretically your downloads should be caught by the low priority (or default) rule.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Btw I have noticed some bugginess in bringing up wan (or wan up detection) whenever i hit apply after making changes to dns config. Now i do not know if this behavior is restricted to the n66u or my wan type (dhcp) or if this has been reported before but below are my observations:

If I enable dnscrypt, set resolver 1 to opendns and hit apply, the percentage increase in 1-2% increments suggesting a soft reboot but wifi stays stable which suggests otherwise.
It's not a reboot, it's a restart of the wan interface.....so wifi stays connected, but of course won't have internet access until it completes.
After it is done my logs page indicates wan is down but i could access internet just fine currently. However, opendns welcome page said I am not using their services (after i have also flushed dns cache). This was fixed after a soft reboot of the router. Basically changing any dns related setting gets me that wan is down report even if not necessarily down.
I've been trying to recreate this one but haven't been able to. I thought I had it once, but the dnscrypt server was being flakey and my WAN really did appear down.
A couple of questions.....
Are you running dual wan?
What is your 'Redirect to error page' setting?

And a final note to all......one thing I've seen is that some of the DNSCrypt servers can be somewhat erratic. If you are having trouble, try a different server first.

Good catch. "all" should include ICMP which might be used by the PS4 to determine latency of game servers.
ICMP is actually handled separately. They are at the bottom of the User defined priorities page. The default should have several packet types selected as highest priority for gaming.

Yes.....it is. Run some tests and look at the system log. But it's not obvious how I do it :) (Since I know you like to look at the code, if you are looking at start_dnscrypt and stop_dnscrypt functions you won't find it there).
Weird, dnsmasq.conf would not get updated (with/without the SERVER=127.0.0.1#{port} entries) unless I specifically restart it...
I did not check the system log though, will probably do once I get home, just for the sake of it!

S
--

ICMP is actually handled separately. They are at the bottom of the User defined priorities page. The default should have several packet types selected as highest priority for gaming.
Thanks for pointing that out.:) For some reason my eye never goes that far down the page. I suppose it begs the (rhetorical) question, why bother with "ALL", unless you're interested in udplite, esp, ah and sctp (none of which I'd ever heard of until I looked them up just now :D).

Last edited:
ok Colin,
So will your setting work for me since our priorities are the exact opposite?
in your case the TV gets high priority and in my case the ps4
i however do not see your ps4 in the rules, does this mean it uses the default settings for that or does it default to low?

@john, with the default you mean the ACK, SYN, ICMP which are on highest no matter what rules you set(unless you switch them off)

Good catch. "any" should include ICMP which might be used by the PS4 to determine latency of game servers.

Yes, that's sort of the opposite to why I set up those rules. :D In my case it was the PS4 that was doing the heavy downloading and interfering with Netflix streaming on the TV.

Theoretically your downloads should be caught by the low priority (or default) rule.