What's new

Release [FORK][DSL] GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL Router 386.1_2 released.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, if merlin doesn't void the warranty, gnutuon software won't void the warranty either, right?

Merlin is a third party software just like Gnutons. I remember Merlin saying his Asus contacts said his firmware would not void warranty but not a single person i have talked with or emailed with has ever heard that and knows nothing about it. They say warranty voided.

Personally i would not worry about it use what you want. If something goes wrong flash back to stock and send it to them. If for what ever reason you cant flash back to stock you may have a brick on your hands. It's all about risk vs benefit.

Merlin is a third party software just like Gnutons. I remember Merlin saying his Asus contacts said his firmware would not void warranty but not a single person i have talked with or emailed with has ever heard that and knows nothing about it. They say warranty voided.

Personally i would not worry about it use what you want. If something goes wrong flash back to stock and and send it to them. If for what ever reason you cant flash back to stock you may have a brick on your hands. It's all about risk vs benefit.
I was planning to buy ax 58u or tuf ax3000. I was going to install merlin in it and set the qqs. Then there is no choice but to wait for the warranty to expire, right? By the way, thank you for your interest.

I was planning to buy ax 58u or tuf ax3000. I was going to install merlin in it and set the qqs. Then there is no choice but to wait for the warranty to expire, right? By the way, thank you for your interest.

I have never waited. In fact i have always waited 1 day with stock Asus firmware to make sure the router is working as it should then i flash Merlin. Like i said its your choice and risk. I have NEVER has Marlin firmware brick any Asus router i have ever owned and i have had many.

Sorry but i have been told different. The reps the average person deals with have never heard of your firmware and insist it's NOT supported.
My information comes from a senior director within their networking division, not a random level 1 tech support. I'd put more faith in my source (no offense).

When an Asuswrt-Merlin beta version caused a small number of RT-AX86U (if I recall correctly) to get bricked due to a bootloader compatibility issue with the version Asus had recently provided me, Asus' answer was: "Have them send it for warranty replacement".

DongKnows also asked the same question with one of his contact a few years ago, and he was also told "it does not void warranty".

and insist it's NOT supported.
Not supported is not the same thing as voiding warranty. Yes, it's not supported. If you need technical support and you are not running the original firmware, for obvious reasons they won't help you. But if the device fails, then you are covered by warranty. Just like if your Lenovo laptop fails while you had Linux installed on it, they cannot deny you warranty services.

My information comes from a senior director within their networking division, not a random level 1 tech support. I'd put more faith in my source (no offense).

(None taken) But how does a person get with senior network division ? Because just calling them or exchanging emails does not work. They don't know your code does not void warranty.

(None taken) But how does a person get with senior network division ? Because just calling them or exchanging emails does not work. They don't know your code does not void warranty.
An employee providing you with an RMA number is not going to ask you "What software are you running?" in the first place, since as you said, most don't even know of the existence of third party alternatives.

An employee providing you with an RMA number is not going to ask you "What software are you running?" in the first place, since as you said, most don't even know of the existence of third party alternatives.

I don't have any issues with my routers for some time, i have no need to contact Asus. But in the past i have had issues when i mentioned i was running Asus WRT-Merlin. I was replying to the OP and his questions.

I want to ask a question independent of the topic. Do you think I should buy the Asus rt-ax 58u or the Asus tuf rt-ax 3000?

I want to ask a question independent of the topic. Do you think I should buy the Asus rt-ax 58u or the Asus tuf rt-ax 3000?
Up to you. Compare pricing and availability in your region.