What's new

Getting WiFi into a metal shop???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sabre65

New Around Here
For the last few years I have used a Belkin wireless router model F5D8233-4 Version 4000 for our home network. I recently upgraded to a Linksys E3200 and changed the WiFi cards in both of our notebooks. I have (thanks to Overdrive31) been able to tweak the router and notebooks to what I believe is the best performance I can get from them. http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6808

I do classic motorcycle restorations and have an old desktop in my shop that I use for reading service manuals, viewing pictures of the disassembly process upon reassembly, recording the progress in a WP, and viewing online parts diagrams. This desktop has a Linksys WMP110 (2.4GHz g/n) PCI card in it. This card has two external antennae.

The router is placed on a desk in front of a window making its straight-line distance to the side of the shop to be about 130 feet. The shop is all metal (structure and siding). The desktop normally sits about 10 feet inside the shop.

With the desktop on a cart at the opening of the overhead door I get a (link speed) 40Mbps connection with the Belkin router but only a 13Mbps using the Linksys E3200. Standing in the same general vicinity my Xoom will connect at about 50Mbps with the Belkin but only about 13Mbps using the Linksys.

The Linksys literature gives a 300 meter range for the E3200 which my E3200 is definitely not getting but I guess that is just marketing hype anyway.

When moving back into the shop neither one will give an adequate signal to maintain a connection but the old Belkin will sometimes connect at about 6.5Mbps (link speed) where the Linksys is not even found.

At this point I have not even attempted to do a LAN Speed Test or a NetStress test to determine actual through-put.

As I am committed to the new Linksys E3200 I would like to somehow get a decent enough signal in the actual shop area to use the desktop for occasional online tasks.

Running any sort of wire is not an option.

I spoke to Belkin, Netgear, and Linksys about their range extenders. I specifically asked, “Will your extender ‘reach back’, get a signal and then ‘amplify’ it to my desktop?” Both Belkin and Netgear said that their product must be placed half way between the router and the device you want to connect. As this would put the extender in the yard their extenders are not viable options. Linksys said (twice) that their RE1000 extender would take my weak signal and do just what I need.

However, after reading the report on the RE1000 here on the web site it appears that in reality it probably won’t do that.

I am aware that one half of the equation is the client so I suspect that is the area in which I need to concentrate my efforts.

Is there any practical (read reasonably inexpensive) way to grab my weak signal and boost it for a reliable and decent speed connection?
Thanks for any assistance.

James

easy.
Buy a WiFi bridge (aka game adapter). This has an antenna to link to the WiFi router and an ethernet port that can connect to the PC's ethernet port. Place this bridge in a window, or buy an outdoor rated bridge and place it on the eaves. Run the cat5 through the window or some other small opening.

On newegg.com you'll find engenious brand bridges inexpensively.

Yes, if "desktop" is the PC in the shop.
The bridge gets placed where it can get a decent signal from the distant WiFi router. This might be a window in the shop, or on the outside wall of the shop, or on the roof eaves of the shop (if outside, buy a weatherproof bridge).

The bridge has an ordinary ethernet cable that goes between the bridge and the PC in the shop - assuming you can get this cable to pass through the window or wall or attic or some such.

Most outdoor bridges have a "power inserter" so the low voltage power to the bridge flows over the ethernet cable. That way, you don't have to deal with 110VAC outside at the bridge.