What's new

Gigabit dual band router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chuckado

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys I am moving to a new place and I am looking to go gigabit for my lan. I have already purchased a gigabit switch and will have a xbox 360, ps3, and desktop attached to that. I will aslo have a wii and 2 wireless n capable laptops. I have been looking through the reviews and charts and I am having a hard time trying to find something that is getting consistent reviews. I am looking for 4 gigabit ports for the lan and dual band wireless. I am hoping to pay less than $100 dollars. The router would be in the basement right below where the wireless devices would be used.

Thanks in advance.

If you use a gigabit switch for everything, then you may not benefit from a WiFi router with gigabit ports (internal switch). If your WiFi can achieve 300Mbps air link rate, your net of overhead rate on the ethernet LAN port may exceed 10/100 speeds PC to PC (intra-LAN). But it's unlikely that you'll get close to 100Mbps from your ISP, nor any Internet Hosts/web sites. So a lower cost WiFi router often meets the need, if as you connect all PCs to the external switch and one line from the switch to a WiFi router's LAN port.

Only the game consoles will be attached to the switch. I will have atleast 1 pc and a server attached to the router. Would them being on a 100mb port be that noticable? or should i just spend the extra money on gigabit?

I decided to buy a second gigabit switch so that i can daisy chain them to my linksys wrt54gl and save on buying a new router and still have the advantages of using all of my wired devices on gigabit.

I think it's best to interconnect gigabit PCs via a decent switch and not assume the gigabit switch in the router is good and provides wireline speeds.

I think it's best to interconnect gigabit PCs via a decent switch and not assume the gigabit switch in the router is good and provides wireline speeds.
The switch chips used in routers are typically also found on small port-count unmanaged switches.
You won't find performance differences between two.

The main advantage of using external Gigabit switches is lower heat generation in the router.

Suggestion

I have this exact same question and after reading your advice would like to heed it. What are your suggestions for wireless router and switches then?

Pretty much the same setup as chuckado, want to put it in the basement (corner of house), need to cover an average split level house (1000 sq/ft per floor, 2 floors), replacing a really old netgear that took a lightning bolt to the uplink port (you should see the cable modem that was in front of it.

A single 8 port switch would cover the house. If I could get both and stay under $100 that would be great.

Buy switches on brand preference, price and warranty. My only suggestion is to stay away from lesser-known, cheapies unless you buy two - one to use and the other to swap in when the first fails early.

Many Gigabit switches now come with lifetime warranties.

I have this exact same question and after reading your advice would like to heed it. What are your suggestions for wireless router and switches then?

Pretty much the same setup as chuckado, want to put it in the basement (corner of house), need to cover an average split level house (1000 sq/ft per floor, 2 floors), replacing a really old netgear that took a lightning bolt to the uplink port (you should see the cable modem that was in front of it.

A single 8 port switch would cover the house. If I could get both and stay under $100 that would be great.

I don't know if this is something that hits the spot, but I just got a used Dell PowerConnect 5224 24-port Managed gigabit switch for $70 off EBay, there were quite a few for sale there. Probably overkill, but the price couldn't be beat.

NewEgg has an 8-port D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit Desktop Switch on sale for $24.99 + free shipping (was like $70)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127325

I am leaning toward a TEG-S50g ($26) for behind the TV and the final TEG-S80g ($35) for the central location.

I am lost in Linksys numbering land though, could I get one last advice on which of the following refurbs to grab?

$22 - E1000
$28 - WRT160N-RM
$28 - WRT310N
$35 - E2000

The 310N's gigabit ports would be thrown away, but for that price on a refurb unit I feel like I can't go wrong. Spending any more than that makes me question why I am not just going for the linksys 4000 refurb direct from them or just buying the new asus black diamond.

I broke down and bought the E4200 refurbished direct from linksys.

Going to bypass the switches and add them after the budget burn from this purchase subsides.

Thanks for the great site and reviews, keep up the good work.

I have everything up and running and daisy chaining the switches made it very easy and the speed is great. I used the trendnet green switches with 8 ports unmanaged (the product name escapes me right now). I bought them for 27 dollars each which is way cheaper than the routers i was looking at buying.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!