What's new

Good ADSL Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

| raZor |

New Around Here
I would like to buy a new router, preferably with a built-in ADSL modem. Here's what I need:
- Wireless N
- Dual Band, as I already have a TV that supports 5Ghz, plus I'll also add my PC so I guess that's enough reason for it.
- Gigabit Ethernet is not a must, but it'll be nice as an extra.
- ADSL modem for convenience.

Should I go with an ADSL router? Or should I buy an AP + ADSL modem?
I don't really think the second option is convenient, but I'll do it if it's worth it.
I'll probably be ordering from Amazon, so no problem there.

After some light research I found the NETGEAR N600 (DGND3700) on Amazon for nearly $160, is it good? Are there any better ones around the same price or less? I see the N750 and E4200 on Amazon for less, is it worth the extra inconvience?
Also, I need an adapter for my PC, I have looked at the NETGEAR WNDA3100 and the Linksys AE2500, which is better?

I would like to buy a new router

The general consensus here is that running two separate components, a modem and a router offers more flexibility with less compromise.

I'd suggest looking at the router charts and line them up with your requirements, speed, features, etc and get a separate DSL modem to go with the best fit/choice router.

The general consensus here is that running two separate components, a modem and a router offers more flexibility with less compromise.

I'd suggest looking at the router charts and line them up with your requirements, speed, features, etc and get a separate DSL modem to go with the best fit/choice router.

Thanks for your answer.
It does offer great flexibility, but is also a pain because when I encounter an issue I'll have to troubleshoot two devices instead of one. What I meant was, is it really a big difference between something like the NETGEAR N600 and the NETGEAR N750 / Linksys E4200 or any other router in the $100-$150 range? Is it worth the added inconvenience of having to manage two devices?
Also, what about the mentioned adapters?

I've always had a separate router and modem. I tend change routers every year or so. The modem changes much less often. So I definitely wouldn't want an all-in-one, nor would I want to be constrained to the relatively few modem+router combos. For me, the modem either works or not- if not, it's always an ISP problem -though that's quite rare these days (cable modem).

One more thing, if you switch from a DSL ISP to a broadband cable ISP, and you have a one-piece DSL modem/router, you have to start over. You'll be out shopping for a new router. I did this about two years ago to increase my internet speed, and it was just a process of changing the DSL modem to a cable modem, no problem. Didn't have to find a new router. Just makes sense.

One more thing, if you switch from a DSL ISP to a broadband cable ISP, and you have a one-piece DSL modem/router, you have to start over. You'll be out shopping for a new router. I did this about two years ago to increase my internet speed, and it was just a process of changing the DSL modem to a cable modem, no problem. Didn't have to find a new router. Just makes sense.

I see your point, it's a bit more flexible. Do you recommend any specific DSL modem?
I try to do my research before asking questions, however I can't find enough DSL product reviews.
I apologize for my many questions. Thanks a lot for your help.

PS The DGND3700 can be used with DSL or cable.

Last edited:
That is interesting, that the DGND3700 also contains a cable modem. However, for example *smile*, when I switched from DSL to broadband cable for internet, I went to a "bundle" that included VoIP for to replace my landline. This really decreased my total monthly costs, but also requires a cable modem with eMTA. That really narrows down your choice of cable modems. Actually, Comcast in my area only makes one of these available for consumers to buy (Arris TM722G), and that's the customer-owned cable modem that they will support. I understand that you can get a separate eMTA thing to use with an existing cable modem, but I'm pretty sure that's not supported by Comcast in my area. They seem to be pretty rigid and narrow in their requirements when it comes to the VoIP part, at least.

I think that I'd personally start by seeing if my DSL ISP had any recommendations for DSL modems.

I just looked at the spec for the DGND3700. It doesn't have a cable modem, it can connect to a cable modem (like most routers *smile*). It only has an integrated ADSL modem. Personally, this has more functionality than I would want in one piece of equipment, but if you switched to cable you can simply not use the DSL modem piece, and use a separate cable modem.

So I can see how this would work for you initially, but again, it isn't something that I'd be interested in. I want a separate modem and router, personally, since they do different things. You're still faced with the problem that if the DSL modem part fails, then you've lost both your modem and your router, or if the router fails or you want more functionality in your router in the future you have to go out and buy another combined modem/router, or switch to a separate modem and router at that point.