What's new

Good Mesh Wifi 6 vs. Meh 6E?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnnyVLee

New Around Here
Okay, so technically this is not a purchase decision, it's a "which of the ones I already have should I use?" question.

This is an odd comparison, I know. I have a Netgear Orbi Wifi 6 system that has been great. Installed fiber internet svc and they "gave" me an Eero Pro 6E system. It's impossible to find reviews comparing these 2 systems.

Yes I realize 6E > 6 generally speaking. But the Eero Pro 6E does not receive great performance reviews, especially as distance from the device increases.

Ultimately the best solution is to buy the Orbi 6E system but with a 2-unit running $1100, it's clearly worth waiting a little bit for price to come down.

So if you were me, which Wifi system would you use?

Welcome to the forums @JohnnyVLee.

The system I would use is the one I have tested in my own environment which has proven to be the superior solution.

Buy, test/compare. Keep the best one (overall).

Your network cards and devices won't even see 6GHz band if they are not 6E capable. Home "mesh" systems use 6E for wireless backhaul. If your current Orbi is working great - there is nothing much to improve. There is a chance 6E "mesh" systems will require closer to each other routers/satellites due to lower wall penetration and range on 6GHz band. Wi-Fi 7 is coming later this year and there is no point investing in 6E equipment.

You can run them side by side - run the Eero's in Bridge mode and cabled up to one of the main unit LAN ports on the Orbi...

Then you can A/B test them.

Might be surprised...

Then you can A/B test them.

Indeed. If you already have the units, why not test them rather than guess?

As already noted, the only thing you'd really be likely to get out of this today is running the wireless backhaul on a 6GHz channel instead of 5GHz. Whether that's better in your situation depends on a lot of factors you didn't mention (for starters, whether you're even using wireless backhaul). If you've got the interest, then test their performance. Otherwise put the Eeros on the shelf and be happy.

Better yet, if the Orbis are meeting your expectations, sell the Eero units and save the money for your next upgrade…