What's new

Good wireless routing solution for 1Gb internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razzeli

New Around Here
Hi, new user here!

I will be getting a 1 Gb fiber internet connection here in about a week, so was looking a good solution for that. I have multiple computers and NAS plus some other devices, most of which are wired but some are wireless. I was looking at first Edgerouter X or Lite modes + Unifi AP AC Lite, but according to some reviews, the throughput completely goes to crawl when using QoS on Edgerouter models even with hardware offloading.

I will be doing heavy downloading and uploading (torrenting, usenet) plus streaming and gaming, so would Wireless routers like Linksys EA8300 or Netgear R7800 be better? They seem to sport more powerful CPU's. How about torrenting, any considerations on that? I have had previously some crappy wireless routes which completely choke under it.

My budget is around $200 however $250 being the absolute most I can spend if needed.

Currently a bit overwhelmed at the options I have. Also wondering why so many people are suggesting that Edgerouter + separate AP combo, when with the same amount of money could get a more powerful wireless router which doesn't crumble when actually using some of the features on a Gigabyte WAN?

Thank you!

I don't think you will need QoS with a gigabit connection. My ASUS RT-AC68U works just fine with my connection. I hit 940 Mbps both ways when running speedtest. I torrent heavily also and you'll never max out your connection due to the lack of seeder speed. Closest I've come is starting 4 Linux distros at the same time.

Best bang for the buck ASUS wise is the RT-1900P which is the same as the 68U but has the faster 1.4 Ghz processor. I owned a AC3100 for a while and it worked well also but the marginal performance gain over the 68U didn't justify the cost. I think the 3100 does link aggregation which might benefit your NAS if is supports it. I would check the forums though to make sure the LA is actually working in the real world and not just advertised.

Agree on the QoS statement....you really won't need it with a Gig connection at your house unless you are just doing some seriously crazy stuff. If you "really" want it...build a pfSense box. You can easily achieve Gigabit speeds with QoS...if you must have it.

As for the rest of the Ubiquiti lineup...I am still a huge fan of letting a router be a router and letting an AP be an AP. I tend to stay away from a multi-tasker. For what it's worth...I am a security guy by trade...I despise all in one Security appliances for the same reason. Rarely will they ever be true best in breed for all features...it will just be "good enough" at all tasks. That is how I feel about home consumer router/WiFi combo devices as well.

Agreed with that much throughput actually renders QoS rather redundant.
FWIW: The somewhat-now ancient R7000 flashed w/Shibby's Tomato has no issue reaching my FTTH 1Gbps up/down avail throughput...