What's new

Got a R7000 need advice on a laptop card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

plainbum

New Around Here
HI, I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and I need some advice on a laptop card that is equally matched for this router. the only item I have found is the Intel 7260HMW but Im hoping there is a more capable card out there.
ALso, my current laptop only has two antenna wires but I am willng to get a third wire and install in somehow.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

You could consider an external network adapter that uses USB if your laptop has USB 3.0...I've been looking for one that has good reviews myself, since I don't really want to take my laptop apart to add an antenna. Looks like might have to wait a while. Right now the ones that I see out there are only 1200Mbps (300Mbps on 2.4GHz., ~900Mbps on 5.0GHz., hardly equally matched), and the reviews aren't great. The Linksys WUSB6300 looks the best so far in terms of reviews, but I'm not convinced *smile*. I'm surprised that the Asus USB-AC56 has such bad reviews, but it's hard to find a good one.

So I can't recommend a good one at the moment, as a result am in wait mode. Maybe others have a recommendation?

Last edited:
Hi,
I am getting Netgear AC1200. It looks like have swivel antenna some thing like that.
Will try it with R7000 and see how it works. I am expecting it some time next week.

Hi,
I am getting Netgear AC1200. It looks like have swivel antenna some thing like that.
Will try it with R7000 and see how it works. I am expecting it some time next week.
Yeah that ac1200 is my backup plan but I really dont want to tie up a usb port and I suspect the antenna on the frame of my laptop screen will be better than a USB stick can muster. Tho a usb stick is portable and can be used in multiple computers.

Yes, I also looked at the Netgear A6200, but it's USB 2.0. I don't see how it can claim 867Mbps using USB 2.0, but I'll be interested to hear how fast it really does go.

That's why I mentioned a USB 3.0 adapter. Not even looking at USB 2.0 adapters, myself. My laptop does have a couple of USB 3.0 ports.

Hmmm,
One of my laptop(ASUS ROG) has USB 2 and 3 ports. I'll try Linksys one as well if I can
obtain one as a freebie. Netgear one was.

Did you guys not see this?

USB 2.0 is fine for AC1200 class adapters. Bus speed is not a limitation.

Did you guys not see this? http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32269-we-now-test-wireless-extenders-adapters-and-bridges

USB 2.0 is fine for AC1200 class adapters. Bus speed is not a limitation.

In my best Johnny Carson voice - "I did not know that"
Thanks!
Is there any chance of getting your opinion on the Intel 7260HMW mini-PCIe card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190
Maybe brush over the differences between a USB adapter compared to an internal card please?
Thanks!

Without testing, I can't comment on performance.

Internal vs. external is a matter of convenience, i.e. nothing hanging off the side of the laptop to get snapped off.

As I said, USB 2.0 bus speed isn't a throughput limitation for this class of product.

to avoid sticking-out USB dongle, and to improve antenna placement, you can purchase a USB extension cable. Not a hub, just cable

I'm also looking for a 3x3 dual band PCIe card. I've found a few single band 5GHz cards out of Taiwan, but I can't give up 2.4GHz.

I'm hoping somebody will make a chip based on the QCA9860. I have an Intel ultimate 6300 now so would hate to drop from three to two antennas on 2.4GHz to get AC :(