What's new

GT-AC29000 and AC86U mesh together

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Helder Santos

Regular Contributor
Hello,

My father is having issues at is home with WIFI with his AC86U.
I was looking to setup ai-mesh using a GT-AC2900 that I found on Marketplace.

So before I buy the GT-AC2900 I wanted to know if this makes sense.

Modem -> AC86U (located downstairs) -> wired mesh -> GT-AC2900 (upstairs)

I know there's probably better mesh routers, but budget is limited for him.

Thanks

What kind of Wi-Fi issues? This model is known for multiple issues. Get your father something more reliable instead.
randomly loses wifi on the tablet. That only happens when on the second floor.
Othwerwise all good, that's why I wanted to set the mesh and have a second router on that floor

If the existing RT-AC86U is showing intermittent issues AiMesh won't fix that.
There is a chance you waste money on another End-of-Life router just to find the first one has issues.

So what budget router would you recommend?

I don't know what your father needs. For basic Wi-Fi with wider coverage something like Deco M4 2-pack is often around CAD100, 3-pack is around CAD140. Really simple App control, band steering single SSID for both bands, wired will do 500Mbps over Wi-Fi from both main unit and satellite. I have installed two already to people with minimal tech knowledge and they work very well for the price. Easy-button solution, everyone is happy.

Based on your signature I believe you are in Canada.

I prefer to stay with the Asus products. Yes I'm in Canada.
Basic usage for two tablets (wireless) + one computer (wired) + 2 tv's wired+wireless (IPTV)

You have two Asus routers in your signature for >CAD500. Get your father what you think is best based on your own experience. Why budget model or used from Marketplace and already EoL? Your father just needs Internet on 5-6 devices and doesn't have to spend extra money based on your preferences. You prefer something more expensive - you pay for it. 🤷‍♂️

Because He refused to take a ax88u that I bought him. He wants to deal on it's own.
I just wanted to help him!

The thread started with your AiMesh questions and continued with your intentions to purchase hardware based on your hardware preferences. I was under impression you are doing it start to finish. If your father refused a good Asus router already perhaps he prefers something else. May not like the looks of what you offer, I don't know. Find out what he wants and work with him to make it happen. As long as he's happy with the result - all good.

Thanks for your time on this!