What's new

RT-AC86U GUI upgrade fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simon...

New Around Here
I have 2 RT-AC86U aimesh nodes connected via ethernet to RT-AX86U.
Trying to GUI upgrade both RT-AC86U to a latest Merlin (3004.386.13_2) firmware from 3004.386.12_6.
One of the units upgraded just fine, but in other upgrade keeps failing. i tried different browsers, powercycling between attempts.
I used to upgrade older routers via CLI/mtd-write, but this option seems to be not available now.
Trying to avoid hard reset on a RT-AC86U - rejoining aimesh could be finicky...
How do I troubleshoot it? Is there a supported CLI upgrade procedure for these routers?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Just to confirm - you're running Merlin on the AC86 nodes?

Correct, have been running Merlin in this config for over a year, and went through multiple updates - all through GUI without an issue.
I know it doesn’t answer your question, and I’m a bit out of the loop on what the best practices are lately for AiMesh nodes, but in the past it was recommended to have them on the latest stock firmware. Have you tried that?

I know it doesn’t answer your question, and I’m a bit out of the loop on what the best practices are lately for AiMesh nodes, but in the past it was recommended to have them on the latest stock firmware. Have you tried that?
I think you are confusing it with adding aimesh nodes. At least at one point it worked a bit more reliable with stock firmware. I don't think it's the case now. Aimesh works fine for me. Just trying to keep my RT-AC86U up to date on Merlin.

Just trying to keep my RT-AC86U up to date on Merlin.
Because...??? Security is handled at the Router, the AX86. the outrigger AC86 AiMesh nodes do what it tells them