What's new

GT-AX11000 / PPPoE connection error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Djo

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I am facing about a curious error on my AX11000 routeur.
I can t established a PPPoE connection when I upgrade the firmware form 3004.388.5 to 388.6 or last version 388.7

When I downgrade from 388.7 to 3004.388.5 , internet works again like a charm.
I have read every article on the net related to this stuff and I am using merlin since 7 years...

short story :
* I have tried the Vlan35 tag
* Play with the dual wan
* tried some stuff on the wan conf
* disable Ai protection

My question : anyone here use the routeur with Bell (Canada) ? and had configure the PPPoE internet settings successfully with the combo ax11000 and Bell ?
Do i miss something with the new firmware ?

Info : i don t use script or specifics stuff on it

My log regarding the error :
pppd[3163]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
pppd[3163]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[3163]: Terminating on signal 15
pppd[3163]: Exit.

Thanks
Djo

Screenshot 2024-07-15 200156.png
any additional logs in system logs when you add dump to wan additional pppd options

Have you attempted restarting both devices at the same time?

Since you’re using pppoe it’s unlikely to be a cable modem.

Maybe try and factory reset your bell modem. 30/30/30 usually you start with it unplugged wait 30 then plug it in holding the reset button wait 30, then unplug again and let it reboot as normal. That should factory reset the modem.

If the modem is fibre it should automatically pull any required profiles from the isp. Dsl it won’t matter.

Other thing to maybe try is mac cloning or spoof lan ttl but those are a long shot.

Maybe see if your isp requires:

Access Concentrator Name
Service Name

I don’t have bell, but I am on a Canadian isp with fibre that uses pppoe on 388.8 with a gt-ax11000 and have no issues.

Make sure your username usually a email address is not case sensitive aA for the first letter of the username / password.

If the username is johndoe make sure it doesn’t also require johndoe@johndoeisp.ca

Otherwise I’m not sure. Contact your isp because something seems wrong with the setup of your modem/router.

Last edited:
"Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery" tells me there is a problem before even reaching the authentication stage. Either a VLAN issue or a modem issue.

Thanks for all your suggestion but all this basic stuff was already try...
For me, the firmware after 3004.388.5 add something because everytime I upgrade, PPPoE doesn t not work but when I just downgraded to 388.5, all work like a charm without changing anything.

In addition, I use the official Bell routeur and put it like a bridge to plug on my Asus in RJ45

Does it work with latest official Asuswrt firmware?

Yes - report it in 388.8 beta thread, RMerlin is the one to help you
No - report it to Asus, something is broken in newer Asuswrt base

388.4-388.5 -> GPL 388_23588
388.6-388.8 -> GPL 388_24353

Does it work with latest official Asuswrt firmware?

Yes - report it in 388.8 beta thread, RMerlin is the one to help you
No - report it to Asus, something is broken in newer Asuswrt base

388.4-388.5 -> GPL 388_23588
388.6-388.8 -> GPL 388_24353
Thanks @Tech9 for the suggestion, but 388.6 and XXX.7 is not working too
the official firmware works

Pppoe LLC/SNAP bridging can be a little flakey at times. Back when I used to have adsl the modem would use llc/snap bridging and if I factory reset my router I’d have a hell of a time reconnecting. Often it would require a factory reset of the modem and boot both devices at the same time. But anyways.

Unfortunately I don’t know what’s going on in the bell modem to really offer much specific advice. It could be it works fine with some pppoe modems and not others. As is the case for me now on fibre I don’t have the same issue.

Why not have the bell modem handle the pppoe connection then use its dhcp server into your router? Use automatic dhcp on wan on your router it would be double nat that way but if you have admin access to both devices you can port forward accordingly if things need specific incoming access.

Last edited:
Reactions: Djo
Thanks @Tech9 for the suggestion, but 388.6 and XXX.7 is not working too
the official firmware works

This means something got broken in 388.6 and carried over to 388.7 - RMerlin is your man. :)

PPPoE is working for me with Acanac *using bell's last mile fibre with similar VLAN tagging (40 instead of 35) and pppoe login here in Toronto on 3004.388.8_beta1 (started with Acanac back in Nov 2023 with 388.5)

Pppoe LLC/SNAP bridging can be a little flakey at times. Back when I used to have adsl the modem would use llc/snap bridging and if I factory reset my router I’d have a hell of a time reconnecting. Often it would require a factory reset of the modem and boot both devices at the same time. But anyways.

Unfortunately I don’t know what’s going on in the bell modem to really offer much specific advice. It could be it works fine with some pppoe modems and not others. As is the case for me now on fibre I don’t have the same issue.

Why not have the bell modem handle the pppoe connection then use its dhcp server into your router? Use automatic dhcp on wan on your router it would be double nat that way but if you have admin access to both devices you can port forward accordingly if things need specific incoming access.

Good point, I have tried this conf yesterday. It's exactly the same result, it works on 388.5 and not with .6/.7/.8

My conclusion, the new version have definitively something broken with Bell ISV... thanks for your support guy's...
If someone have a good idee, I can test it ;)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!