What's new

GT-AX11000 Pro Dual Wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Balloonpilot1

New Around Here
Sorry in advance for the length of this…

I started out with two ASUS AX11000 (not pro) router set up as a mesh. Working great for years. ISP became unreliable so wanted to add Dual WAN. Primary ISP was a cable modem, secondary (Ethernet port 1) is from Verizon 5G

Fail Over working great, as is fail back.

However once dual WAN is turned on, no machine can get out (internet). Neither hardwired nor wifi. Turk off Dual and machines can get out.

Sent ASUS technicians my log files and whatever else. Their response was that my Internal Cache version number was different from my Firmware.. I had also downloaded their latest. They had me factory reset…. This Bricked the primary AX11000 and I was down.

Got a new AX11000 Pro. Reset my second AX11000 and set this new router as my Mesh Master. Got basic WiFi and Internet up.

Started trying to play with Dual WAN, again…. Same issue. My secondary ISP is showing up as Hot-Spare. Failover and dial back works. But no traffic goes out to the internet!

My new AX11000 Pro is running 3.0.0.6.102-34713

As for the Dual WAN:
Primary is on 2.5G WAN port
Detect Interval 5 sec
Connect Diagnosis: 12
Network Monitoring: Ping 8.8.8.8

Secondary: Ethernet Lan Port 1

For what it’s worth, I have tried changing my Primary ISP from cable modem to VDSL and have the same results

First intent was to have a back up Internet connection for the home office. I would really like this to work!

I am considering changing dual wan to load balance, to get something for my money on second ISP…. But read that the Ai Protection is disabled when using load balance. So I have not ventured. Is the load balancing worth losing the AiProtection ?

I have also considered putting a pFSence box into the mix (running both ISP into the pFSence and letting it handle failure).

I’m frustrated

Thanks

My new AX11000 Pro is running 3.0.0.6.102-34713

As for the Dual WAN:
Primary is on 2.5G WAN port
Detect Interval 5 sec
Connect Diagnosis: 12
Network Monitoring: Ping 8.8.8.8

Secondary: Ethernet Lan Port 1

Given:
1 x 2.5 Gigabit WAN Port
1 x 10 Gigabit WAN/LAN Port
4 x Gigabit LAN Ports

At first look, I'd expect dual WAN to use the two WAN ports(?)

OE

Last edited:
That’s what I thought and first tried, when that didn’t work that is when I used WAN for primary and Ethernet for Secondary

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
When you set up Dual WAN you should be able to select primary WAN and secondary WAN ports. While the tech specs show only two WAN ports USB is an option, and sometimes specific LAN ports. I used to set up a cell phone as failover with fallback.

If you now pay for two internet services because of your issue with the first, and they both provide unlimited or the same amount of data, for example no data cap on both, I would suggest sacrificing AiProtection and run load balancing. I don't know if you noticed but it's version has been stuck at 2.4 for over a month now.

BTW- Failover doesn't work well from past experience. It works great if primary WAN is physically/manually disconnected, but doesn't seem to work great when for example a tree branch knocks out your cable line. (Happened to me once). So you might experience the same issue if you're having unstable primary ISP issues as it may not automatically jump to the secondary and back.

When you set up Dual WAN you should be able to select primary WAN and secondary WAN ports. While the tech specs show only two WAN ports USB is an option, and sometimes specific LAN ports. I used to set up a cell phone as failover with fallback.

If you now pay for two internet services because of your issue with the first, and they both provide unlimited or the same amount of data, for example no data cap on both, I would suggest sacrificing AiProtection and run load balancing. I don't know if you noticed but it's version has been stuck at 2.4 for over a month now.

BTW- Failover doesn't work well from past experience. It works great if primary WAN is physically/manually disconnected, but doesn't seem to work great when for example a tree branch knocks out your cable line. (Happened to me once). So you might experience the same issue if you're having unstable primary ISP issues as it may not automatically jump to the secondary and back.
In my scenario, the actual failover and back ‘worked’ the Asus box saw the drop and switched over (and back).

My prob is that with fail over active - NO traffic passes regardless of which connection is active

So I’m now looking at eithe Load Balancing (forgoing the AiProtect) OR putting something like Firewalla Gold SE or offense in between my WAN(s) and the AX11000 Pro

For up to Gigabit ISP small business router like TP-Link ER605 for $60 will do Multi-WAN with fail over/back properly.

Hmm. I reread your initial post to see what else I may have missed...

As far as Failover and Fallback, from personal experience these options are only made available IF Dual WAN is enabled, not the opposite way around.

But what you seem to mean is that when primary WAN fails and secondary is switched to, there's no internet, vs my concern that the switch to secondary does not happen?

Sounds like they fixed one thing but caused another issue. Did you get to try load balancing just to see if it works with both?

Yes with Dual WAN enabled the 1100 Pro will switch from Primary to Secondary (and back) with out issues

The prob is that within minutes of setting up Dual WAN, the router stops any outbound traffic. And this is with both WAN connections showing good

So I’m on the primary wan (dns set)
Pining out to 8.8.8.8 - is ok

I turn on wan 2. Soon as it shows up as ‘hot standby’ and I’m still on wan 1 as prime.

My ping stops and I can not get out

Have you tried to reboot via the GUI, wait 10 minutes or so after it has settled, and trying again?

Yep.

I’ve tied soft-reboot (using gui), hard reboot (flipping power switch), and just pulling the power from the wall.

I’ve done factory reset, left it w/o over night…

Every Combination I can think of. And even Asus Tech Support.

Im thinking I wasted $400 on the AX11000 Pro and should have gotten two lesser WiFi AP’ then plugged my ISP’s into. Firewalla or pFSense box

Been hoping that it’s an easy oversight

I even did factory reset, leave off for couple hours, do minimal config on ax1100 pro (not meshed, all just default and dual wan) …. No joy

Report the issue in Feedback Form, wait for firmware update with fix. Nothing else you can do.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!